1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstitions

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by gerbera, Jan 31, 2016.

1. gerbera

gerbera New Member

Do the people in India have a lot of superstitions? I know there are countries that seem to be superstitious of a lot of things, from black cats to using the left hand to pass something. I went to school with an Indian girl who would laugh about all the superstitions her parents had.

2. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Yes, People of India do believe and follow lots of superstitions.

3. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

There are many superstitions India shares with the West, whether or not the people are educated.

A black cat crossing our path means the same in the West as in India. Witches and witchcraft - it's all quite similar. Broken mirrors too!
    Americans have for a very long time held Friday the thirteenth as a day to fear and dread. Indians take it a bit further in that there are certain days of the week (three of them!) that certain activities are abstained from. Then there's the daily ever-changing Rahukaal that must be accounted for. Any nightly activity like sweeping the floor, picking flowers or leaves is bad luck for sure! If you want to avoid bad luck, then you have your work cut out for you just calculating all the times and days and situations that you need to avoid!

It's not all bad, though. If you see a peacock before going on a trip, this will bring good luck. Likewise, three lizards coming towards you are a sign of marriage. Or just put one of those Laughing Buddha statues facing the door for more good luck.

4. Elaine

Elaine Member

India is not the only country where you can find superstitious people. This is something that is common in almost every country I have ever been to.