1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperature in Delhi in December

Discussion in 'North India' started by BhalKiran, Jul 21, 2016.

1. BhalKiran

BhalKiran New Member

I am going to India in December and will be staying in Delhi majority of the time. I have heard that it gets quite cold in Delhi during December, but then I have heard that during the daytime the sun is always out, and it can get hot.
    I am quite confused now. I don't know what kind of clothes to pack. Taking winter clothing is a hassle anyway because it increases the luggage weight a lot, and if I won't need it there, then it would just be excess baggage.

I think it would be better to know the temperature in Delhi in December. It would be from this information I would know exactly how hot or cold it would be.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Winter in Delhi sets from the end of November and persists until February. During the first half of December, the temperatures range between 25°C to 23°C. At the last weeks of the month, temperatures can drop as low as 20°C. This change in temperature is brought about by the North Western winds of the Himalayas. It's possible to witness frost as the temperature drops to 0°C in the beginning of January. Instead of snow, what marks the winter season in Delhi is the increase in fogs and decrease in visibility. Hence, days are shorter and cold while nights are longer and colder.

Days are definitely colder during December. Again, the cold winds from the Himalayas cools off the days so despite the sunshine, it's generally colder. During the end of December and beginning of January, there's moderate humidity and low precipitation. The temperature might not be as low but the wind chills add to the cold factor during these months. It's very rare though for the temperature to drop below zero. However, the problem with this time of the year, is that the fogs can lead to disruption of air, road and rail ways.

It really depends on where you're from. If you're from a country that experiences cold weather more extreme than Delhi, then you might get away with just jackets, scarves and sweaters. But if you're from a tropical country, with warm weather all-year round, you might need thermal clothing and woollen clothes.

Another suggestion would be to bring a few winter essentials. You can always shop for winter clothing in Delhi as it has many markets for that. They're at a particularly affordable price as well.

I hope this helps!

3. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Early mornings and late nights in Delhi will be cold, if the place where you are staying gets no sunlight, then the inside of the house will feel colder than what it is outside. I feel that it is never too cold in the winters during the daytime in Delhi, and just wear something light woolen or something like a hoodie.

I would suggest you bring along with you a hat, a light but warm jacket, some sweaters or cardigans. You would not require anything too thin or half sleeved.