1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Food.

Discussion in 'South India' started by adi0000, Feb 5, 2016.

1. adi0000

adi0000 New Member

The people up in the North normal would not like eating the South Indian food due to different reasons, but the food here does do a lot of justice to when it come to the taste and health.

2. Igor

Igor New Member

I intend to taste all types of food when I am in India. Although I will be spending time only in the north I do hope that I will be able to find different types of Indian cuisines in the hotels and restaurants that I visit.

3. I have tried both kinds of food and honestly don't have a clear preference. But North Indian is certainly preferable at parties and feasts; South Indians won't mind eating it. North Indian food is heavy so it helps while having a big dinner to fill up your stomach. Healthwise yes South Indian food is better, so I eat south indian for breakfast.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I find it fascinating that there's such a difference in food from region to region. I guess that I just thought Indian food that they serve at my favorite local Indian restaurant was the same all over the country there. I'll be interested to try both when I'm there - I think it's always fun getting to actually experience the food in the country and see how similar or different it is to when it's served here in the States.

5. Maple

Maple New Member

My mouth is watering just thinking about the food in India! This is very helpful to me to know that the recipes from south India are typically healthier. I'm a bit of a health nut, so I'll have to keep this in mind when planning my trip.

6. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Each mind of food whether it is North Indian or South Indian have been localized based on the climate and weather. After these long years of eating food from your region makes you skeptical about the food of other regions. But at the end, it is always fun to eat the food that is suited to the climate and weather you live in. Me being native to South India prefer South Indian Food. Both North Indian Food and South Indian Food are equally Healthy and good and are Appetizers.

7. xTinx

xTinx Member

The state of Kerala has some of the best South Indian dishes around. Besides its picturesque scenery, Kerala is known for mass-producing coffee, tea, cashew and spices to name a few. They even have tons of plantations for these products. Keralan dishes also cater to both vegetarian and non-vegetarian tongues.

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Although you can say there is a difference between food in the North and South, it is more diverse than that. I actually read somewhere it is heavily influenced by the peppers grown in the region. Peppers are a very diverse species, and frequently cultivated locally. This means that a city might have dishes using sweet peppers, while the town next to it has hot peppers. Personally, the thing I like best is naan, and any bread. For me, some fresh bread and some garlic paste is the best.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

To be honest I think in most countries the food does alter slightly from one region to another, that's only normal but with India there seems to be a massive difference.

You can order the same dish in two different places but it will be made in totally different ways with totally different ingredients, and I've never known that in any other country before.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

How does the food differ according to class? Typically, there are expensive and inexpensive dishes in most countries, but I have no Idea how that relates to India. Do castes eat differently?