1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Traditional Drink.

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by adi0000, Feb 5, 2016.

1. adi0000

adi0000 New Member

The traditional drink up here in Telangana also called 'Kallu' is a comes from trees . This drink gives a different kind of taste, such a taste that there are people who may like it or also people who might hate to an extent.

PrincessTigerLily likes this.

2. Travguy

Travguy Member

I have been served a welcome drink many times when I have traveled to different parts of the world. It is usually a non-alcoholic cocktail which tastes like a fruit juice. But whenever I get a welcome drink I feel thrilled as it is a sign of good hospitality.

3. Kallu sounds interesting. Is it like a nonalcoholic beer type of drink? They had something like that in Ukraine called Kvas (i'm not sure of the spelling, sorry.) I think that Kvas had a very, very minor alcoholic content because it was made in a fermentation process, but it was a very weak drink in that sense.

4. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

This drink, "Kallu", can you describe the taste? As someone who has not yet been to India, much less tried this exotic beverage, I am extremely curious on all aspects of Indian culture, and have been trying to immerse myself to an extent over the past couple months. Is it something that can be made at home or purchased in North America? I am very curious.

PrincessTigerLily likes this.
  5. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

Except when I've heard rumors that traditional drinks in a certain place aren't safe to drink, I'll always try all traditional drinks. I'm yet to try Kallu. It's one of those things one just has to try so even if you don't get yourself a souvenir you at least remember a place because you tasted something there that you've not had elsewhere.

6. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I would prefer drinking non alcoholic drinks, even though I have in the past had issues with traditional drinks. If you are not used to some traditional drinks - not fruit juices - then you may suffer from stomach upsets. Others can make you to vomit. You may only need to take a small quantity at a time to see how your body reacts.

7. djtravels

djtravels Member

There is a different traditional drink in every city, sometimes within miles of each other. I have never had "Kallu". But, I've had the orange wine thing in Goa- the Goa Feni? It was great except for the smell part. Too much orange for me. I've also had the Kashmiri Kawa, which is a great drink to have when its freezing cold. The Kawa has saffron which is a well-known "anti-aging" and beautification compound.

8. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

I've never heard of Kallu. What is it made from, and is it an alcoholic drink? The only thing I had to drink that was not bottled when I was in India was the locally-made chai. If it's not fermented or served hot, I would be wary because some of the microbes in the local water can cause some GI problems. If in doubt, I advise people to drink things that are bottled and sealed.

9. vkar

vkar Member

Didn't have the chance to taste it, but have heard about it. There's certain appeal of traditional drinks, but personally I found my curiosity lasts till I try it once. I have tried traditional drinks of Kerala, Assam and many other places and liked the experience the first time few times. But it grows old quite fast.

10. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

In the South a traditional drink could include tender coconut water. The tender coconut is chipped off at the top and a hole is made to insert the straw.

and also toddy. Toddy is produced by tapping the tender inflorescence that can be seen on coconut trees. For those who want nonalcoholic toddy it is tapped early in the morning and not kept to ferment.

inflorescence.jpg
    Photo credit Pinterest