1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Dalhousie

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Jain, Jul 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jain

Jain New Member

I am interested in knowing more about Dalhousie. I have seen an image of Dalhousie, which is of small green hills with this little area which looks like houses or restaurants. I think another name for this place is little Switzerland I am not sure, though!

There are some activities being conducted in that area, but I don't know what else can be done in Dalhousie?

I would like to know about the things to do in Dalhousie, from place to see and do.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Dalhousie is considered as one of the most beautiful hill stations in Himachal Pradesh. The name of the town came from the British General who established it as a summer destination, Lord Dalhousie. It offers picturesque views of the snow-capped Himalayas along with the lush greenery in the area. It is situated at the foot of the Dhauladhar Mountains and is about 1,970 metres above sea level. This tourist destination is ideal for people who just want to relax and enjoy the simple life.

Here are some of the things that you can do in the beautiful Dalhousie:

Shopping
    • Gandhi Chowk. This is the main shopping area in Dalhousie. There are lots of items to buy here: traditional bags, accessories, handicrafts and even dolls.
    • Tibetan Market. Enjoy looking through authentic and handcrafted Tibetan items. Otherwise, go on and buy some of them, they're worth the price.
    Adventure
    • Paragliding. Who knows a little town like this can have an adventure activity as challenging as paragliding? Rates start at Rs. 1,500 per person.
    • Horse Riding. You can ride a pony for just Rs. 350 and enjoy the views on top of this majestic creature.
    • Trekking. Places like Panchpula and Ganji Pahari have trekking opportunities for beginners and even experts.
    Relaxing
    • Walking. You can walk around Dalhousie and just enjoy the fresh air and great views.
    • Picnic. You can walk a few miles away from Dalhousie and find your very own picnic spot.
    And now, here are some of the attractions in Dalhousie:
    • Khajjiar. You mentioned earlier about the "Little Switzerland of India." Well, that is Khajjiar, about a few kms away from Dalhousie. Here, you'll find thick deodar and pine forests covering the little town. Aside from that, the Khajjiar Lake is also a favourite tourist spot in here. Don't forget to visit the Khajjinag Temple in here too.
    • Kala Tope Rest House. Looking for a picnic spot? Look no further as Kala Tope Rest House is just a few minutes away from the city centre. Walk the way up to the entrance and enjoy the forest view. You can even spend the night here for Rs. 800 and experience living in the woods. It's also a great picnic spot for couples or families.
    • Kalatop Wildlife Reserve. You can find this in the Dalhousie-Chamba Road. Most famous animal species here are the Himalayan Black Bear and Himalayan Black Marten.
    • Dainkund Walk and Peak. Offers amazing views of the Kailash Parbat of Dhaula Dhar Ranges although you'd need a permit to access the peak.
    • Ganji Pahari. At the top of the hill, you'll find that there are no trees in one patch, hence the name Ganji Pahari.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.