1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Fatehpur Sikri

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by mejori9141, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mejori9141

mejori9141 New Member

As we want to stay in Fatehpur Sikri for 2 days, so it would be really helpful if somebody can tell us more about Fatehpur Sikri, I mean: places to visit, what to eat, what not to eat, precautions, safety tips, things or activities we can do there and anything which we should not miss during our stay.

Till now I have only 2 places in my list: Buland Darwaza and Fatehpur Sikri Fort

2. Bholae Nath

Bholae Nath New Member

I far as I know Buland Darwaza and Sikri Fort are the two main attractions of Fatehpur Sikri, but these two places will take at least 2 complete days if you truly want to see and admire the beauty of this place. Plus remember to visit Bharatpur National Park too (if you have enough time). I am visiting India from last 30 years and I still have soo many places and things pending to do.

3. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Buland darwaza and the fort can both be covered in one day and you can use the second day to visit Bharatpur bird centaury.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Fatehpur Sikri was once the capital of the Mughal Empire. However, due to the scarcity of water in the place, its residents deserted it and it became a ghost town for many years. The city was once known by the name "Fatahabad" from the Persian word, "Fatah" which means victory. Akbar built the city to honour Sufi Saint Salim Chishti and in fact, the entire palace complex was built around the saint's tomb. Now, the city is a great testament for the majestic Mughal architecture buildings here.

Places to Visit
    • Buland Darwaza. Its name means "Magnificent Gate" and rightfully so, as this gateway is one of the strongest ones in the region. It was built to celebrate Akbar's victory over Gujarat. It stands as high as 54 meters and was made using red sandstones, marbles and granites.
    • Diwan-I-Khas. The famous Lotus Throne can be found here which has intricate stone carving details. It used to be a hall for special events for the religious leaders in the region.
    • Jodhabai Palace. This was where Mughal Queen Jodhabai used to live. It's a combination of Hindu Rajputana and Muslim Mughal styles of architecture.
    • Tomb of Sufi Saint Salim Chishti. This has a combination of Mughal and Hindu styles of architecture. This mausoleum belongs to Sufi Saint Salim Chishti.
    • Jama Masjid. This was made using red sandstones and has exquisite stone carved altars.
    • Panch Mahal. This used to be an entertainment centre in the region where dances, theatre shows and musical performances were showcased.
    • Hiran Minar. Some say that Akbar built this in memory of his favourite elephant, Hiran.
    Best time to visit
    • The months of November to March are the best months to visit Fatehpur Sikri. The weather during these months is pleasant and greta for sightseeing.
    Restaurants
    • Mughal Garden Resort. They have many cuisines to choose from: Chinese, Indian and Asian. You can find this en route to Fatehpur Sikri from Agra. They have a buffet option as well. There's lots of variety of dishes if you don't want the buffet though.
    • Lake View Restaurant. You can find this near Tera Mori. They have Indian cuisine. There's lots of vegetarian options here as well. You can opt to eat outside for a nice view of the surroundings. Otherwise, you can eat inside if you'd be more comfortable with AC.
    I hope this helps!