1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist places in New Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Tommy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Tommy

Tommy New Member

I am from London and will be going to India later this year. My itinerary is going to Mumbai, Delhi and then Punjab. I have things sorted out for Mumbai and Punjab where my family is but need to know about New Delhi.

I would like members to help me put together a 3-4 day itinerary of tourist places in New Delhi that I should visit.

2. Mohit Eagle

Mohit Eagle Member

Hi Tommy, I am going to be straight forward with you and give information according to my personal experience.

I too was in Delhi last year with some relatives and like you, they wanted to visit tourist places. So we decided to at times take a taxi or metro to reach our destinations. At times the metro station was at a distance from the tourist place we also had to get an auto.
    It wasn't until the end of the day we saw a HoHo bus and for the next day, we decided to get the bus for sightseeing instead.

Believe me going in the HoHo bus was so much easier, less tiring and covered more places.
    The bus covers the majority of the tourist places in Delhi (more than 20), so you won't really miss anything. There are one day tours and two-day tours.

To know what places are covered visit the thread which lists of the tourist places covered by the HoHo bus.

3. AP

AP New Member

I have only ever heard of the HoHo bus, and that it takes you to near enough all of the tourist places, but is there an actual itinerary of where exactly the HoHo bus goes and its timings?

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

New Delhi, the capital of India, is a city with a rich history and culture that is sure to fascinate any visitor. With its bustling streets, diverse food scene, and impressive monuments, New Delhi offers tourists a unique and unforgettable experience.

In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the top tourist places in New Delhi.

1. Red Fort The Red Fort is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most popular tourist attractions in Delhi. It was built in the 17th century by the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan, and served as his residence until 1857. The fort is made of red sandstone and is an impressive example of Mughal architecture. Visitors can explore the various buildings and structures within the fort, including the Diwan-i-Aam (Hall of Public Audience), Diwan-i-Khas (Hall of Private Audience), and the beautiful gardens.

2. Qutub Minar The Qutub Minar is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is the tallest minaret in the world. It was built in the 12th century by the Sultan of Delhi, Qutub-ud-din Aibak, and is made of red sandstone and marble. The minaret is surrounded by several other ancient structures, including the Iron Pillar, which is over 1,500 years old and has not rusted yet.

3. India Gate India Gate is a war memorial located in the heart of New Delhi. It was built in the 1920s to honor the Indian soldiers who died in World War I. The 42-meter tall archway is made of red sandstone and granite and is surrounded by lush green lawns. Visitors can take a stroll around the monument and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.

4. Lotus Temple The Lotus Temple is a unique and stunning piece of architecture that has become an iconic symbol of New Delhi. The temple is shaped like a lotus flower and is made of marble. It was built in the 1980s and is open to people of all religions. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful gardens surrounding the temple and learn about the Bahá'í faith.

5. Humayun's Tomb Humayun's Tomb is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is the final resting place of the Mughal emperor, Humayun. The tomb is made of red sandstone and white marble and is surrounded by beautiful gardens. Visitors can explore the various buildings and structures within the complex, including the tomb of Humayun's wife and the Barber's Tomb.

6. Jama Masjid Jama Masjid is one of the largest mosques in India and was built in the 17th century by the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan. The mosque is made of red sandstone and white marble and can accommodate up to 25,000 worshippers. Visitors can explore the various courtyards, prayer halls, and domes within the mosque.

7. Akshardham Temple The Akshardham Temple is a modern Hindu temple that was built in 2005. It is one of the largest temples in India and is made of pink sandstone and white marble. The temple is dedicated to Lord Swaminarayan and features intricate carvings, sculptures, and murals. Visitors can also enjoy the light and sound show that takes place in the evening.

8. Chandni Chowk Chandni Chowk is one of the oldest and busiest markets in Delhi. It is located in the heart of Old Delhi and is a maze of narrow lanes and alleys lined with shops selling everything from jewelry and clothing to spices and street food. Visitors can explore the market on foot or take a rickshaw ride to experience the hustle and bustle of Delhi

9. National Museum The National Museum in Delhi is one of the largest museums in India and houses a vast collection of artifacts, paintings, and sculptures. The museum has several galleries that showcase the history and culture of India, including the Indus Valley Civilization, Buddhist and Jain art, and the Mughal period. Visitors can learn about the rich heritage of India and the various art forms that have developed over the centuries.

10. Raj Ghat Raj Ghat is a peaceful and serene park located on the banks of the Yamuna River. It is the site where Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the Indian nation, was cremated after his assassination in 1948. Visitors can pay their respects to Gandhi by laying flowers and observing a moment of silence. The park also features a museum dedicated to Gandhi's life and teachings.

11. Gurudwara Bangla Sahib Gurudwara Bangla Sahib is a Sikh temple located in the heart of Delhi. It is one of the most prominent Sikh temples in India and is known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful atmosphere. Visitors can participate in the daily prayers and enjoy the langar, a communal meal that is served to everyone regardless of their caste or religion.

12. Nehru Planetarium The Nehru Planetarium is an educational and entertaining attraction that is perfect for families and children. The planetarium features several shows and exhibitions that explore the mysteries of the universe, the planets, and the stars. Visitors can also learn about the history of astronomy and the contributions of Indian astronomers.

13. Hauz Khas Village Hauz Khas Village is a trendy and hip neighborhood in Delhi that is known for its cafes, boutiques, and art galleries. The area is a popular hangout spot for young people and offers a unique blend of old and new Delhi. Visitors can explore the ancient ruins of the Hauz Khas complex, which includes a mosque, a tomb, and a water tank.

14. Dilli Haat Dilli Haat is a vibrant and colorful market that showcases the handicrafts and cuisines of various states in India. Visitors can shop for textiles, pottery, jewelry, and other souvenirs while enjoying the lively atmosphere. The market also features several food stalls that offer a variety of regional dishes from all over India.
    In conclusion, New Delhi is a city that offers something for everyone. From the ancient monuments and temples to the bustling markets and trendy neighborhoods, there is no shortage of tourist places to explore. Visitors can experience the rich history and culture of India while enjoying the modern amenities and hospitality of Delhi. Whether you are a history buff, a foodie, or an art lover, New Delhi is a destination that is sure to leave you mesmerized and inspired.