1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance - Always, Sometimes Or Never?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 15, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm curious to know whether you are an "always, sometimes or never" travel insurance purchaser.

I had times in the past where I bought it, and times where I didn't - and the time that I didn't was one occasion where I got sick and had to cancel flights and re-book, as well as extending accommodation. I ended up being out of pocket for a sizeable chunk of money, and from then on I refused to travel unless I had a travel insurance policy. For me it was one of those "better to be safe than sorry" moments - I would have hated for something more serious to have happened (for instance a hospital stay and big medical bills!)

So yes - now I am firmly an ALWAYS when it comes to travel insurance.

What about you - always, sometimes, or never? Any reason why you feel that way?

2. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Yes. I buy travel insurance every time I travel. There are certain situations that you can not foresee. Even accidents or sickness or a broken bone can get you in trouble that you do no need in a holiday.
    In Europe I have an european insurance card thats free for all EU member countries, but outside I like to be sure that everything is covered.

So many stories happened around me, children getting sick and one our family friend discovered her ectopic pregnancy in India.
    As you said - better be safe than sorry.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I never get travel insurance because I'm cheap. LOL. It's a terrible reason really but the thing is I've never been in any kind of transportation accident or major problem before so I'm complacent. The only time I ever bought travel insurance was on a ship and I was pretty much required to get one. I advice people to get travel insurance especially if your gut tells you so, sometimes your intuition can be right.

4. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I work in an insurance company so I'd go for ALWAYS! Seriously, we never really know what could happen throughout our travel period. It's better to be assured and safe. We can't always say no because of the extra cost of insurance, but who knows right? Maybe we could actually save more if we get one if ever something unfortunate comes along the way!

5. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

Sometimes. I will buy travel insurance when travelling overseas, but won't bother when travelling within the country. It just feels like overkill to me. One possible exception may be if going for hiking trips or adventure sports.