1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance - Suggestions And Tips

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by blackmamba, Jan 16, 2016.

1. blackmamba

blackmamba New Member

Hello everybody,
    I'm Giorgia!
    I'm going to travel for 6 months in India with my boyfriend and then possibly in some other Asian countries (from India).
    We've never bought a travel insurance, so we really don't know how to move!
    What's the best one in your experience?
    We're not going to do any specific sport activities (just hanging around cities, and some walks in the mountains), but we're going to travel a lot on trains and buses and we're going to have cash and electronics with us: our main interest is in covering illnesses, theft (personal money as well) and loss.

Thank you in advance and have a good weekend! ;)

briannagodess likes this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Travel insurance is best bought at your home country and I would recommend calling some travel company or just go to some high street travel agent and see what they have on offer. Some banks also have special offers some times and some credit card companies throw in free travel insurance if you want to go that route.

briannagodess likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'd have to second that, it's better to inquire about travel insurance companies in your own country. This way, you can ask questions prior to committing to the said company. Consider getting a Multi-Trip International Travel Insurance, since you're planning on going to different Asian countries. It offers extended coverage, usually up to a year. It's the best plan for frequent travellers to different countries as you won't need to apply for insurance each time you visit a new country.

This type of insurance also has coverage for those things you mentioned like lost baggage, overseas medical expenses, hijack, delays or loss of travel documents. But usually, there's some exceptions... Like a baggage delay of less than 24 hours or expenses that happened due to civil unrests.

And also consider asking your credit card company about possible insurance as well. Some credit card companies provide some insurance due to baggage loss, trip delays or cancellations and car rentals.

I hope this helps!

4. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I remember when my relatives went to India last year and other countries like Sri Lanka they did buy travel insurance as if you need to go to hospital you will get the best care since you paid your travel insurance in your home country just to be safe, otherwise the medical bill can be high if you don't have it. It is also important to talk to your bank to see what you are protected for when traveling overseas and have contact information so that you know who to contact in case of an emergency about theft or fraud, as being safe is very important and you won't have to deal with stress of your card being used by someone else.I think that doing the insurance process and paying fees in your home country is important so that you won't have to worry about insurance while you are in the country you are visiting and sometimes we can easily forget those things when we are rushing.