1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trek in Himachal

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by himtim, Dec 30, 2014.

1. himtim

himtim New Member

Hi

Is there any trek or place in Himachal which you would personally recommend for trekking in mid-march? I do not want to fall for any commercial adventure activity and all what I need is your suggestions and recommendations.

I always prefer to make my itinerary on my own, so this time as well, I want to customize it on real time basis.

Thanks

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are many trekking routes you can take in Himachal. The most common ones are Shimla, Manali, Dalhousie and Dharamshala. However, if you want to take the road less travelled, these are your best trekking options:

• Pin Parvati Trek. This is a very difficult trek to do, so only do this trek if you're quite an experienced trekker. The trek begins in the Parvati Valley to the Pin Valley of Spiti. The distance of this trek is about 110 kms and it can take anywhere between 11 to 13 days to complete. You're going to cross pine forests, waterfalls and bridges in this trek. You even have to cross the Parvati River in three ways: on a bridge, with a trolley and through rock climbing. This trek also offers amazing views of the snow-clad Himalayas mountains.
    • Chandratal - Baralacha Trek. The trekking distance for this trek is about 48 kms. You can probably reach the peak in 4 or 5 days. The good thing about this trek is that it's good for beginners as the ascent isn't so challenging. You would pass through Manali, Batal, Chandratal, Tokpo Yogma and then Baralacha in this trek.
    • Hampta Pass Trek. You would pass along the Hampta River all the way to the Barren Valley of Chandra in this trek. You can actually see the contrast of the two valleys along the way: Kullu Valley and Lahaul Valley. This is about 45.8 kms and can take 5 to 6 days to complete. This is moderate to difficult trek so only do this if you have some experience in trekking. You would pass Manali, Jobri, Chika, Balu Ka Ghera, Hampta, Siagoru, Chatru and Chandratal.
    • Kinnaur Kailash Parikrama Trek. This trek used to be 200 kms but it has been shortened to just about 67 kms now. Don't let that fool you though as this can be a difficult and challenging trek. The views en route are amazing though. If you're an experienced trekker, then you must try out the Kinnaur Kailash Parikrama Trek. The Zanskar, the Greater Himalaya and the Dhauladhar mountain ranges can be seen along this trek. Some of the places covered are: Shimla, Sarahan, Recongpeo, Lamber, Charang, Lalanti, Chitkul and Sangla. It can take you 12 to 14 days to complete this trek.
    I hope this helps!