1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Types Of Churneys

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Peter, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter New Member

Both my wife and I love chutney. I'm wondering what kind of chutney they make in India. Does the chutney have a lot of curry and different spices added? What are the dishes they add chutney to?

2. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Well, as far as I know, we don't add curry into chutney. Indian chutneys are used as condiments and are generally sweet/sour. The notable chutneys are Mango chutney, Coconut Chutney, Coriander chutney and the Tomato chutney. We also add a lot of different spices in them, so the taste of the dish is often quite different than you'd expect. Most of them are delicious, though, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

amelia88 likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Wow, the only ones I knew of were mango and tomato chutney! Coconut or coriander chutney sounds amazing - I bet they're so full of flavor. I wonder if I can find a recipe online and try and make my own! It still might not be until 2017 that I will have the time and finances to get to India, so I guess I can try and live vicariously through the food there, right? :)