1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US passport renewal in India

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by MandiraDalia, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MandiraDalia

MandiraDalia New Member

I am a US citizen currently in India for a holiday. I have just come to notice that my passport will expire before I go back to the US and I can not change my flight date as I have a wedding to attend for which I have come to India for.

How can I go about for a US passport renewal in India?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to the forum!

US passport renewal in India.jpg

Overview

To renew an expired US passport from outside of the United States of America, you need to reach the nearest US Consulate from where you're residing or staying now. In India, there are US Consulate Offices in Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai. You need to reach any of these offices after applying for the US passport renewal online. Also, you need to make sure that all the requirements that would be mentioned below are prepared before your scheduled appointment. Below, we would highlight the steps that you need to undertake to renew your US passport from India.

US Passport Renewal in India - The Requirements

First, you need to prepare the following requirements prior to reaching the US Embassy or US Consulate nearest to you. Adhere to the rules and regulations set by the consulate so that you can avoid delays with regards to your passport renewal.

1. Download the Form DS-82 and fill it out completely. Keep in mind that you can only use this application form, if you fulfil the following criteria.
    • Your most recent passport can be submitted along with the form
    • Your most recent passport is not yet damaged
    • Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years of age and above
    • Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years
    • Your most recent passport was issued in your current name or you can provide proofs for your name change, if you have undergone through any
    Otherwise, download the Form DS-11 instead, if you don't fit in all of the requirements above. Make sure you include a working email address and contact number in the form.

2. Evidence of US Citizenship
    • If you're submitting the Form DS-82, then your old passport can serve as your evidence of US citizenship
    • If you're submitting the Form DS-11, your old passport can serve as your evidence of US citizenship too but your US birth certificate or certificate of naturalisation or certification of citizenship can also work (Make sure you have a certified photocopy of the original form)
    3. Colour Photograph (At Least Two)
    • The photograph must be 2" x 2" in size, recently taken, within the last 6 months, and must have a white background
    4. Identification Proof (Driver's License or PIO Card)
    • Identification proof is not mandatory but might be required if your appearance has changed since the photograph in your passport was taken
    5. Name Change Proof (Marriage Certificate)
    • If you have gone through a name change due to marriage, you can bring your marriage certificate as proof of name change
    US Passport Renewal in India - The Procedure

1. Go to the official website of the US Consular Services. Select your country of residence at the time being, which would be India, and then the specific city consulate that you would be submitting your documents in.

2. You would be transferred to a new page, click on the Make an Appointment button. On the next page, select the option stating you need 'Passport services other than adding pages.' Tick on the box stating you have read the instructions given by the US Consulate and click on Submit.

3. On the next page, fill in the required details, like the time slot you prefer, your name, contact number, email address and more. Click on Continue once you have completed the page. Check your email and take note of the password given to you, as you can use this for cancelling or modifying your appointment schedule.

4. You can then print the confirmation page and bring that on the scheduled appointment. Make sure keep this confirmation page as this is very important for your appointment.

5. On the day of your scheduled appointment, make sure you reach the US Consulate or US Embassy at least an hour before the allotted time. Bring all the requirements mentioned above. Also prepare 110 USD for payment of the renewal of your passport. You can pay this fee by cash, credit card, debit card or demand draft. Both credit card and debit card should be capable of US dollar transactions.

6. Get a number and wait for your turn once in the US Embassy or US Consulate. Once you're called, submit over your documents to the officer, pay the required fees and you can opt to have your new passport delivered or you can pick it up in about 7 to 10 business days time.

US Embassy or US Consulate Offices in India

CityAddressContact NumberScheduleTimings
    ChennaiGemini Circle, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006, India+91 44 2857 4000Mondays to Fridays (Except Last Wednesday of Each Month)9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
    DelhiShantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Delhi 110021, India+91 11 2419 8000Tuesdays and Thursdays11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
    Hyderabad1-8-323, Paigah Palace, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad, Telangana 500003, India+91 40 4033 8300Thursdays2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
    Kolkata5/1, Ho Chi Minh Sarani, Park Street Area, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071, India+91 33 3984 2400Mondays to Fridays (Except Last Wednesday of Each Month)10:00 AM to 3:30 PM (Break from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM)
    MumbaiC-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400051, India+91 22 2672 4000Thursdays2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
    These are all the US Consulate and US Embassy offices located in India. You can directly contact them through the numbers above for further information. Their timings vary too so make sure you plan accordingly before reaching the office. Although you do have your appointment scheduled for the submission of documents, you might face delays or postponements if you don't know their exact schedules when picking up your documents, which won't have a set appointment.

Conclusion

That's about it, the requirements and procedure you need to follow to renew your US passport in India. The process is fairly simple and doesn't take much time too. I hope this helps you!

:)