1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending Indian Visa on USA Passport in India

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Jamie, Apr 29, 2015.

  1. Jamie

    Jamie New Member

    I am a USA citizen and currently staying in India. It has just come to my notice that my visa will expire in a 3 weeks times. My stay in India is for longer than 3 weeks and I need to get my visa extended, is it possible to do this in India for a USA passport? If yes then please provide the contact details of where I need to go for the visa extension.

  2. Admin

    Admin Administrator Staff Member

    You need to go to the FRRO office, which is at 813, Sector 1, R.K. Puram, New Delhi. Visa extensions, OCI/PIO cards are all dealt with from this office.

  3. Jani

    Jani New Member

    That is something you don't usually think about, but can happen. I guess it's a good idea to know where your American consulate is whenever you travel to a foreign country.
  4. Tia

    Tia New Member

    Unfortunately, U.S. passport holders cannot extend their tourist visas while in India. You will need to apply for a new visa from your home country (the United States) before your current visa expires. Here are some resources from the U.S. Department of State to help you apply for a new visa:

    U.S. Embassy & Consulates in India

    Since your visa expires in 3 weeks, it is recommended that you contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in India as soon as possible to discuss your options. They may be able to advise you on expediting the application process for a new visa. Here are their contact details:

    U.S. Embassy in New Delhi: [ +91 11 4190 4000](tel:+91 11 4190 4000)

    U.S. Consulate in Kolkata: [ +91 33 4674 3611](tel:+91 33 4674 3611)

    U.S. Consulate in Chennai: [ +91 44 2850 5000](tel:+91 44 2850 5000)

    U.S. Consulate in Hyderabad: [ +91 40 6624 5000](tel:+91 40 6624 5000)

    U.S. Consulate in Mumbai: [ +91 22 2676 4100](tel:+91 22 2676 4100)

    It is important to note that expediting a visa application may come with additional fees. There is also chance that the new visa might not be issued before your current one expires. If this is a concern, you may also want to consider exploring the possibility of leaving India before your current visa expires and then re-entering on a new visa.