1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to apply for passport in India?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by JhanviJaidev, Oct 24, 2016.

1. JhanviJaidev

JhanviJaidev New Member

I will be in India in a couple of days, and I have only just seen that during my stay in India my passport will be expired. I have a British passport, and for me to get back home, I need a valid one and need to know how to renew my it in India.

I don't even know if it is possible to renew my passport while abroad so at the moment I need all the help and advice I can get.

I can extend my stay that is no issue. I just need to know how to apply for the passport in India and that too the quickest way.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, applying for a British passport from another country can take a few months to process. The average wait is about six weeks but some weren't able to get their passports even beyond these weeks. This is because all overseas British passport applications, whether renewal or fresh issue, is now handled by the Her Majesty's Passport Office in the UK. Thus, they are offloaded with too many applications, since before, some consulate offices abroad handled the passport applications.

You can still renew your British passport while you're in India, if you're willing to wait for the long processing time. Here are the steps that you need to undertake for renewing your British passport:

Renewal of British Passport from India
    • First, download the application form and print it. Fill out the form using only a black biro and make sure you use all capital letters.
    • On Section 1 of the application form, check the box appropriate for your case. As you would see, you need to put a cross on the box if your passport was issued after 1993 or the box if your passport was issued before 1993. Also, if you would like a 48-page passport, put a cross on the corresponding box as well.
    • On Section 2 , personal information about you would be asked, like your name, address, mobile number and email address. Make sure that you use only the boxes that are provided and if any other information won't fit in them, you can use Section 8 for that.
    • On Section 3, you would be asked about your current and previous passports. Make sure you include all details about them as you need to send them to the HM Office as well.
    • On Section 4, you would be asked details about your parents. Fill in this section if your passport was issued before 1993.
    • On Section 5, you would be asked whether you are a naturalised citizen or given a certificate of registration. Cross out your response, whether it's a Yes or a No.
    • Section 6 is only for children aged 12 to 15 years old.
    • Section 7 is intentionally left blank while Section 8 is for additional information that didn't fit in the other sections.
    • On Section 9, sign the Declaration Form clearly, not going beyond the borders of the box.
    • Section 10 is only for counter-signatures, like for a passport application for a child.
    • Make sure that your credit card works for international transactions. Accepted cards are Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB. Fees differ but write 106.01 euros for an adult standard 32-page passport and write 114.01 euros for an adult jumbo 48-page passport. Do not forget to include your signature.
    • Once you're done with the application form, you can then proceed and book an appointment with the nearest UK Visa Application Centre to you. There are branches in Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Jalandhar, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune. They are VFS Visa Centres so you can easily get a hold of their phone number or email address and communicate with them.
    • Once done with the booking, you will receive a confirmation about your schedule. Bring the necessary documents (I will give them below) along with photocopies on the scheduled appointment.
    Documents Required for Renewal of British Passport from India
    • Two recent identical photographs (45 mm height x 35 mm width)
    • Current British passport
    • A full colour copy of any other passports that are uncanceled that you own
    • One photo identity document and one document as evidence of residency for the last year (national identity card, visa or residence permit, tax record, educational record, employment record or voter's card)
    • Application form, completed and signed
    • Payment form, completed and signed
    Bring all these documents along with a colour photocopy of each. Even your current British passport needs to be photocopied, every page of it, even the blank ones. Your original documents would be given to you once verified. The VFS Visa Centre would send your application form and payment form along with the other documents to the HM Office in the UK. Expect the wait to be around six weeks or even more.

I hope this helps you.:)

3. Deven

Deven Member

If your British passport is expiring during your stay in India and you need to renew it, you can do so at the British High Commission in New Delhi or the Deputy High Commission in Mumbai. Here's a general guide on how to renew your British passport in India:

Steps to Renew Your British Passport in India:
    1. Complete the Passport Application Form Online:
    • Go to the official website of Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) and complete the application form online. You can find this on the UK government's official website.
    2. Book an Appointment:
    • You will need to book an appointment at the British High Commission in New Delhi or the Deputy High Commission in Mumbai. Check the official website for the specific location's contact details and appointment procedures.
    3. Gather Required Documents:
    • Ensure you have all the necessary documents, which may include:
      • Completed passport application form.
      • Your current passport.
      • Passport photos meeting UK standards.
      • Supporting documents as per the application requirements.
    4. Attend the Appointment:
    • Arrive at the appointed time for your scheduled visit to the High Commission or Deputy High Commission. Bring all required documents, including the printout of your completed application form.
    5. Pay the Fees:
    • Pay the necessary fees for passport renewal. Payment methods may vary, so check the specific requirements on the official website.
    6. Submit Biometric Information:
    • You will likely need to provide biometric information (fingerprints and a digital photograph) during your appointment.
    7. Collect the New Passport:
    • After your application is processed, you will be notified when your new passport is ready for collection. You may need to return to the High Commission or Deputy High Commission to collect it.
    Important Tips:
    • Ensure you have enough time before your planned departure to complete the renewal process.
    • Check the official website or contact the High Commission directly for the most up-to-date information and requirements.
    • Be aware of the processing times, which may vary.
    Renewing a passport while abroad is a standard process, and the High Commission staff are there to assist you. For urgent cases, you may inquire about any expedited or urgent processing options that may be available. Always refer to the official guidance for the most accurate and current information.