1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaishno Devi Helicopter

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Ananya, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ananya

Ananya New Member

I am planning to take my parents to Vaishno Devi in Jammu & Kashmir, and this would be their first ever trip there although they are very big devotees of Mata.

They are quite aged and it would not be possible for them to walk all the way up to the mandir, and I do not really trust the people carriers or even the horse rides as that too can be dangerous. Getting a helicopter for them would be much easier and less tiring and seeing that the service available why not.

I have the following questions about the Vaishno Devi helicopter, please provide the sufficient answers so I can make the relevant bookings.

1. How do we book the helicopter ride to the mandir?

2. How much does it cost?

3. Does the cost include the return ride as well?

4. Does the helicopter go to Bhairon mandir afterwards?

5. What are the timings for the helicopter ride?

2. Deven

Deven Member

1. Booking a helicopter ride from Katra to Sanjhichatt (mandir) is easy, you need to visit the visit the official Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board website and make your booking from there. Alternatively, you can also make reservations from the hotel you are staying at in Katra.

2. A one-way ticket is Rs1170 per person, and this is either from Katra to Sanjhichaat or vice versa. If you wish to get a return ticket, then the cost is Rs2340 per person.

3. This question has been answered above.

4. Unfortunately, the helicopter does not go to Bhairon Mandir. You can only reach Bhairon Mandir by walk, pony or the pitthus.

5. Helicopter services start from 8 am until 6 pm and are aviailable every 15 minutes.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Be careful to secure your tickets in advance. Sometimes, there is high demand, and you may not be able to get a seat. This is seasonal, so check to make sure tickets are available.

4. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

To add to Deven's comment, I'd like to stress on the fact that the helicopter rides are sold out in mere minutes, and thus it is very competitive. It's like a flash sale, almost :p
    I'd suggest starting well before time and checking the website every couple of minutes exactly 1 month before travel date.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

Here are the steps you need to take to book the helicopter ticket for the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi pilgrimage:
    • First, you need to register as a new user in the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board website. Create your own username and password.
    • Exit the website and close your browser.
    • Open a new browser and login to your account again.
    • Click on the Helicopter Services and then select your route: Katra-Sanjhichhat, Katra-Sanjhichhat-Katra or Sanjhichhat-Katra.
    • Enter all the information asked for like passenger details and reservation date.
    • After you finished the information, click on the payment gateway and enter your bank details that are required.
    • A message will appear confirming your booking reservation.
    • Print this reservation on the website (The page with Transaction ID or Transaction Number).
    Here are the different costs for the ticket:
    • One way fare from Katra to Sanjichhat is at Rs. 1,170 per passenger.
    • One way fare from Sanjichhat to Katra is at Rs. 1,170 per passenger.
    • One way fare from Katra-Sanjichhat-Katra is at Rs. 2,340 per passenger.
    No, these prices are only for one-way tickets. You can avail of two-way tickets on the website, the price would be double of what's indicated above. The return flights for helicopters are only until 5:00 pm.

No, the Bhairon Mandir is about 2.75 kms away from the Helipad. You have several options for going to the Bhairon Mandir:
    • Palkhis and Ponies - Rs. 100 to Rs. 150 per person.
    • Battery Operated Cars (Only available for seniors, handicapped and people with illness) - Rs. 300 per person.
    • Walking - Make sure you have worn comfortable and appropriate shoes.
    The helicopter rides start at 8:00 am and the last flight is at 5:00 pm. Although some people have reported that the helicopters waited for them despite them being late for a few minutes beyond 5:00 pm. But make sure you arrive at the departure heliport an hour before your flight to make sure.

And make sure you carry these identification items:
    • Your Yatra Registration Slip
    • ID Proof for All Family Members
    • Proof of Travel Documents
    You might be required to show these identification proofs.

I hope this helps!