1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekend getaways from Delhi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Gori Bride, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

I have been to most destinations in North India or at least the major ones that are mostly talked about but being in Delhi I find it hard to find a destination that would qualify as a weekend getaway because most places are a good 6-7 hours drive and if we are going to be driving two full days then it doesn't really qualify as a weekend getaway considering we only get at the most three days if it is a long weekend. I am not going to Neemrana as that fort is just way too expensive and there is nothing much left to see in there after the two visits I have already made. I am not looking for destination that are more then say 150-160 kilometers so please do not suggest anything beyond that distance. It would be an added plus if the destination is closer to nature and away from the hustle and bustle of cities.

I am hoping to get some good suggestions on this forum as I see some very knowledgeable posts from regular members. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is nothing majorly interesting within 150kms from Delhi but if you are willing to go another 50kms and make it 200kms then you have many options in both winters and summers. Summer time you could go to Mussorie, Rishikesh, Shimla a little further away but worth the drive. In winters you have the good old Jaipur which has a lot of everything from history to food and also a bit of partying if you are in the mood.

In winters you could also look at Bharatpur bird century or Fatehpur Sikri etc but the choice of accommodation will be very limited.

3. Aadi

Aadi Member

Sultanpur bird sanctuary (30 km): It is a home of over 250 species of birds and common wild animals like sambar, hog and deer.

Damdama lake (40 km): If you do not want to go very far from Delhi, then consider visiting the damdama lake for camping. It is maintained and owned by Haryana tourism and they have a very nice resort where you can enjoy hot air ballooning, parasailing, kayaking, rock climbing, camel riding etc.

Vrindavan (144 km): It's known as the holy land of Lord Krishna and it is world famous for ISKON temple.

Narnaul (140 km): It's a town of historical importance, places which you can visit here are the Tomb of Pir Turkman, Jal Mahal, Tomb of Ibrahim Khan, Chor Gumbad, Chamunda Devi Temple

Sariska Tiger Reserve, Alwar (200 km): It is one of my favorite weekend getaway, this tiger reserve is full of wildlife and the species here includes Royal Bengal tiger, leopard, hyena, jackal, chital, nilgai, sambar and many other reptiles and birds can be seen here.

Corbett National Park (230 km): It is the first National Park of India and is a home of many rare species of animals. Perfect place for a weekend outing and camping.

Let me know if you need more options and suggestions, I have many other suggestions :)

DhongiBaba and Gori Bride like this.
  4. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Aadi Are there any hotels at Sultanpur? Never knew there was a bird sanctuary so close to Delhi. I hope it is not just name sake and there are some birds as well.

Ive been to Vrindavan but this is more of a religious place then anything else and I couldn't find any good places to eat either besides the fact that non veg food outlets are not there atall in and around that area.

Corbett looks promising but it isint a weekend kind of thing. I would prefer a longer holiday for such wild life parks. I know I am being too fussy about the whole thing.

5. Aadi

Aadi Member

Yes, there is a very nice and well maintained hotel of Haryana Tourism with Bar and camping facility. Tarrif is starting from INR. 1500 to 2500 and during off season it goes as low as INR. 1000 to 1800. Yes there are many birds and reptiles too, park is full of saras crane, hoopoe, purple sunbird, kingfisher, storks, flamingo, dove, white ibis, egret, eagle, shikra, weaver bird, peacocks and many more.

This place is popular with and full of pure vegetarian Krishna devotees so even onion, ginger and garlic is not used in food which makes it taste dull. Mathura is just 14 km away from Vrindavan where you can find all the restaurants and McDonald's too.

I been to Corbett several times and I think 2 days are more than enough to visit the park but if you want to just relax then even a week is short. It is a popular camping spot for corporate employees of Delhi NCR, these poor souls never get more than 2 days off in a week so they have to manage everything within this time only :)

DhongiBaba likes this.