1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are Popular Pets In India?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Lisa, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

What are popular pets in India that people keep at homes? I was in India for a little over a month but never saw people walking their dogs and I did not see anyone carrying a cat either. It puzzles me a bit to see so many stray dogs and they do not cause any harm to anyone, or are they all pet dogs who are let loose during the day?

I would like to know what pets do people like in India and what breeds as well.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Most popular pets in India are dogs. I personally like German shepherd, people keep different breeds but German Shepherd is most commonly kept as pets.

Cats are not in fashion, in fact they have never been in fashion in India. You can find fish tanks in a lot of homes and in rural areas parrots and few other birds are also kept as pets. Lot of people also keep pigeons on their terraces.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would have to agree with Chahai above, and I can only base it on what I saw when I was there. A lot of people had dogs and dogs were just more featured than anything else that might be considered a pet, so that would just be my assumption. I did not see that many cats, now that I think about it, but I am also sure that it differs from place to place and it just depends on where you are.

4. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Well like everywhere else dogs are quite rampant and great household pets especially in India. Birds are also quite great pets there, I don't particularly know why but I can understand how clean and well-kept they are. I've never seen a lot of cats in India but I have seen a lot of monkeys in the streets. I don't know if people keep them as pets though as they're more of a pest I've been told.

5. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Funny, whenever I think of India and pets, elephants, tigers, monkeys and peacocks come to mind but that's just me. I just love the variety of wildlife found in the country. Dogs are just as popular and I've seen documentaries on animal rights awareness growing there as well. They have animal rescue centers that reminds me of the ones we also have here in the Philippines. I hope that animal rights activism is something that will spread in all other developing countries as well.