1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is pax?

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Pooja, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Pooja

Pooja New Member

I am looking at some hotels in Delhi for my forthcoming trip, and on a lot of hotel websites I see the phrase 'pax.'
    I don't know much about hotels and their phrases they use, so can someone please let me know what pax is?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, @Pooja! Welcome to the forum!

There are different meanings attributed to the term pax. The most well-known attributed meaning to the term pax is per passenger. So for example, if in a hotel, they have the term pax like this:
    • Buffet at Rs. 400 per pax - This means that the buffet costs Rs. 400 per person. So if there's two of you, you'd have to pay Rs. 400 each which amounts to a total of Rs. 800.
    Yet another meaning attributed to it is passenger/s allowed in expenses, thereby giving it the name pax. This also means that pax can be attributed to the number of persons allowed per package. For example:
    • Tour Package at Rs. 8,000 for 4 pax - This means that the maximum allowed persons for the tour package are four members only. Beyond that, there would be extra charges, in addition to the Rs. 8,000.
    Sometimes, in hotels, rooms have a maximum number of allowed persons. So you'd see something like this:
    • Double Room at Rs. 3,000 per night with maximum of 3 pax - This means that the rate for the room is at Rs. 3,000 per night for 3 persons. If you have an extra person with you, you need to pay for the extra person, in addition to the Rs. 3,000 per night rate.
    If you're boarding a bus and you see something like this:
    • Maximum capacity at 28 pax - This means that the bus can only carry up to 28 persons at the same time. Thus, it's the limit to the passengers allowed in the bus.
    So as you can see, the term pax is mostly used in the tourism industry like in hotels, transportation and restaurants. It mostly refers to the number of persons allowed for a certain room, package or vehicle.

I hope this helps you!:)

Admin likes this.

3. vkar

vkar Member

Many travel businesses (like hotels) use the term pax as an abbreviation for passenger. So, number of pax means number if passengers, per pax means per passenger. Doesn't make much sense in relation to hotels etc. (guest would make much more sense) but sometimes they do use it.