1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will A Woman Be Safe To Travel Alone In India?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Elaine Lat, May 6, 2016.

1. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Yes, I am fully aware of the risks. There's always a few wherever we go and no matter what country we go to. I think it would be wise to be really prepared to defend one's self it ever there;s a need to come to that. I remember my dad offering me to take his balisong or butterfly knife when I was sixteen years old. It was the first overnight trip with my classmates and he was worried about his only daughter. I thought it was really funny but I indulged him anyway and hid the knife in the innermost corner of my bag. The boys got drunk later that night and we girls stayed inside our rooms. The knife didn't seem ridiculous all of a sudden. Anyway, I'm planning to learn martial arts soon because at times like this, you can never be too careful.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, India is very safe if you keep aware. There are very safe areas, and some not so safe, but there is little reason to go to those not safe areas. Of course, it is always better to travel in a group, and even better if you have some men with you, but that is not a necessity. If you want to avoid trouble, just keep to the cities and tourist locations.

3. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin New Member

Yes, for sure.
    India has become a popular tourist destination for people across the world which includes women as well. I suggest you to visit the most popular tourists destinations in India like world heritage sites, religious destinations and some adventure sports places in India.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

India is relatively safe for travelling alone, it's certainly no more dangerous than other countries anyway.

More and more tourists are visiting India, and not only is that making it safer, it's also getting the locals more used to travellers, and that's a big step in reducing any risks.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Despite not having been to India yet (I'm still in the planning stage of my trip), one of my friends traveled extensively in India as a solo female traveler and said she never had any troubles or felt threatened. She's quite a seasoned traveler though - I honestly think that using common sense is a big part of it. For instance I wouldn't venture into dark alleyways in my home city at night let alone in a city I didn't know - so I think you have to remember that in a new place.

I never think it's a bad thing though to know how to defend yourself especially if it gives you confidence and courage. That has to be empowering!

pwarbi likes this.
  6. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

You'll be fine as long as you don't go to shady places or if you're just in New Delhi where it's highly urbanized. But I suppose it's safe to advice not to go to any dark alleys at night and don't let anyone know you're travelling alone. Yeah it's definitely empowering to travel alone but at the same time don't risk your health or your safety just to get a good story.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

When traveling alone in a foreign country, especially as a woman, it would be better to reconsider, and find someone you can trust to watch your back. A boyfriend or husband, maybe even a close friend. But you should definitely not wander the streets alone in general, as you will be seen as a target by the local muggers, pickpockets, or worse. Not to sound incredibly paranoid, but that's basically the same since the old days; local hooligans will almost always target lone wandering female travelers, as they are prime targets for their modus operandi.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Knowing self defence, like you say is never a bad thing, no matter if you're travelling to another country or not. While tourists can be targeted more, people can also get attacked in their own country aswell people shouldn't forget, so having some knowledge of self defence can only help in your safety alround.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think that with every country, there's this risk, especially for a woman travelling alone. India is generally a safe country but not without its own risks. But again, the same goes for every country out there, even those known for its safety. The best thing you can do, as a tourist, is to follow these guidelines to make your every trip safe and secure:
    • Research before your trip to India. Know what are the customers and the culture and make sure you'd follow them. Find out which places aren't safe for tourists or those places where harassment or robbery are quite rampant, every country has them.
    • Dress appropriately. Cover up or better yet, wear what the locals are wearing so as to not attract attention to yourself.
    • Do not travel during the night, especially in an unknown destination.
    • Be vigilant and observant especially at night.
    India is a great country and there's definitely lots of places to explore. However, you still need to exercise caution when travelling alone. Don't let that take the fun out of your trip though... I think that every country has their fair share of scary stories and that shouldn't be a reason for you to avoid it. As long as you become a smart traveller, you can be safe even when travelling alone.

I hope this helps! Take care!