1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Travel Alone in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by RituDesai, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RituDesai

RituDesai New Member

Hi everyone I am Ritu Desai, 22 years old from New Delhi. I have a passion for traveling, and I would like to go to places in India, which has been on my bucket list for some time now. I am hoping that this year I would be able to cross this off from the list.

I would be traveling on my own, and don't worry if you think I am a girl and traveling on my own in India would be unsafe. I am quite a tough one and would not be traveling at night at all. It would all be daytime travel. Plus I have trained in martial arts and have the essential things for my safety.

I need some help in finding out the places to travel alone in India, so I know what destinations I would cover and plan my itinerary out well. Although you can say you can travel anywhere in India on your own, I also know that there are some places where you should not be alone.

I have not decided on which part of India to visit first, so please feel free to mention any places across India.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm going to give you a list of the safest cities in India for solo travellers as well as the tourist attractions in these places. Here they are:

1. Vadodara. This city has a safety index of 74% and it tops the list because of that. This city is also known by the name Baroda and it's the third largest city in the state of Gujarat. Some say that this is the cultural hub of Gujarat as well. Some attractions to visit here are:
    • The Ajwa Nimeta Dam and Gardens. Although this is a dam, there's also a garden and park situated in the vicinity. This makes it the perfect destination for couples, friends and yes, even solo travellers.
    • The Laxmi Vilas Palace. This used to be the residence of the Gaekwads and until now, it is the largest private abode in the world. It's a combination of Indian and European architectural styles.
    • The Dakshinamurthi Temple. This temple is unique in that it depicts five different types of religions. The Kalash symbolises Hinduism, the Dome symbolises Islam, the Tower symbolises Christianity, the Golden Structure symbolises Buddhism and the Entrance symbolises Jainism.
    • The Nazarbaug Palace. Although this palace is in ruins now, it is said that billions of money were used to make this abode.
    • The Baroda Museum and Picture Gallery. This houses collections of European paintings. There's also an Egyptian mummy and a skeleton of a whale inside it.
    • The Champaner-Pavgadh. You'll find several temples, mosques and a palace here. This was declared as an UNESCO World Heritage Site as well.
    2. Surat. This is yet another city in Gujarat. With a safety index of 72%, it's one of the safest destinations for solo travellers. The city proper of Surat is one of the most populated ones in India. Here's some tourist attractions in Surat:
    • The Chintamani Jain Temple. This temple dates back to the 15th Century and has various collections of paintings.
    • The Choppati. This has a garden that is great for relaxing and enjoying the scenery. Various food stands are nearby in case you get hungry.
    • The Dumas Sea Beach. Tourists and locals alike visit this beach to have a picnic beside the glorious waters of the sea.
    • The Dutch Garden. This is probably the most famous attraction in Surat. Enjoy the picturesque views of the greenery along with the breath of fresh air.
    • The Dutch Cemetery. This is the mausoleum of Baron Hendrik Adriaan Van Rheede tot Drakenstein. The massive dome and intricately designed pillars are sure to leave you mesmerised.
    • The Textile Markets in Bardoli Road. The textile field is one of the major industries in Surat. Here you can find various sarees, salwar kameez and other traditional Indian clothes.
    3. Vishakhapatnam. This can be found in Andhra Pradesh. It has a safety index of 69.83% which is quite good. It is also the second largest city in the state. Aside from that, it has the oldest shipyard in India. Some attractions here are:
    • The Borra Caves. This is the oldest and biggest caves found in India. You can see various rock formations and even waterfalls inside the caves. There's even a shivalingam and an idol of Kamadhenu inside the caves.
    • The Arakku Valley. This is a bit further away from the city centre but believe me, it's worth visiting. Untouched by modernity, you'll find the truest of the rural life here. About 19 tribes live here and it's an amazing experience to be immersed in their culture and traditions.
    • The Yarada Beach. With its golden sands and clear, blue waters, it's a great place to relax and enjoy nature.
    • The Indira Gandhi Zoological Park. With borders of the hills and the Bay of Bengal on another side, you could only imagine the picturesque views in this park.
    4. Kochi. This has a 67.67% safety index. This was once the trading hub of Kerala. Some attractions here are:
    • The Mattancherry Palace. You can find several temples in the courtyard of the palace. The beautifully designed gardens are a must to visit as well.
    • The Indo-Portuguese Museum. A great place to see the combination of Indian and Portuguese cultures.
    • The Hill Palace. You can find many artefacts from the Maharaja Era of Kochi here.
    • The Folklore Theatre and Museum. You can find several costumes, sculptures, musical instruments and utensils here dating as far back as the Stone Age.
    • The Veeranpuzha Beach. Enjoy the views of the sunset here along with fishermen settlements around the beach.
    5. Chandigarh. This has a safety index of 61% which is fairly good. Since it's located at a higher altitude, the climate here is pleasant all-year round. Attractions here are:
    • The Rock Garden. You can find various sculptures of dancers, animals and musicians here.
    • The Pinjore Gardens. The structures here display architectural styles of Rajasthani and Mughal. It's a beautiful garden and a great place to just relax.
    • The Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery. You can find artefacts from the Indus Valley civilisation here. There's also a dinosaur fossil here which was extracted in the region.
    I hope this helps!

3. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

I am an avid traveler and I love travelling alone. I prefer less traveled and virgin places as I want to spent some quality time with the nature as my only companion. So, why don't we go a little deeper in Gujarat and visit the great Rann of Kutch, probably the only salt desert in the world. It is easily accessible from Bhuj and you can even camp for a night in the desert. The next morning, set of in search of the unique wild ass which is a real adventure in itself. Remember you will need permission to visit Kutch, which is easy to get at the check point midway from Bhuj to Kutch.