1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga Centers In Central India?

Discussion in 'Central India' started by Gabydi, Sep 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I’ve heard and have lots of recommendations from ashrams in Delhi and other parts of India, but I know that Central India is famous for its Ayurvedic and yoga centers. I was wondering if you have any recommendations?

2. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

But I have a different view on this. I think South India, especially Kerala, is famous for Ayurvedic and Yoga centres. It is the home of Ayurveda.

You can find the world's first Ayurvedic resort, "Somatheeram" a few kilometers south of Kovalam beach. It is a well-known place for ayurvedic holidays, meditation tours and yoga classes among travel enthusiasts. They got an excellent panel of Yoga experts too. Yoga classes and boat tours are also included in ayurveda packages in Somatheeram.

3. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

I have been to an excellent Yoga and Ayurveda center near Lonavala, Pune, called Kaivalyadhama. You can stay there for as long as you like, and the food is great. I've been there a couple of times now, and I always leave feeling completely refreshed. I highly recommend it. I also like the treatment packages they offer.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

What level of yoga do you need to be proficient at for this center? I would love doing something like this, but I'm only a relative newbie when it comes to yoga and I wouldn't want to be way out of my depth!

5. vegito12

vegito12 Member

There is Ashtanga Institute, Mysore which is run by the descendants of guru Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois and is well known and is for people, who want to really get into yoga not the casual people who may not be too serious. So it is important to think about what sort of yoga you want to do and sometimes it can be serious, so need to try light yoga exercises first to get used to the stretches and need to think about the sessions which can be long. I know some people who went India and had a good time visiting some yoga places and came back and started their class which is good and do get many clients who want to do yoga.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Would centres such as those mentioned be open to a complete novice when it comes to yoga and have classes to teach, rather than just classes for those that are proficient already?

As @vegito12 says, if you aren't that serious and just want to give it a try would you be welcome or are these centres more for the fanatics?

7. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

I think you will be fine at any level. There are separate classes for beginners and for advanced practitioners, and in either of them you get very personalized instruction. So if you aren't completely comfortable with a particular pose, you can modify it to your level. I knew only a very little when I first went there. They do an initial fitness/medical check up as well, and you can explain all your needs and they will assign you the class they think is right. I was in the beginners class the first time, but the second, I got assigned to the advanced. Some of the moves were tough, but the instructor was very nice and showed me how to do slightly modified versions for my (very un-flexible) self.

amelia88 and travelguide like this.
  8. travelguide

Yes, you are absolutely right. There will be various levels for everybody. You can join elementary course if you are not so comfortable with Yoga. Advanced courses are also there if you got enough knowledge and your body is fit to do various complex poses. Once you join the elementary course, you will be trained to do advanced level of Yoga.

I think one of the most important factors of Yoga is to have a perfect ambiance. Unlike other forms of exercise Yoga is a coordination between your soul and body. You need a calm, soothing environment to get its full effect. Some breathing exercises should be done without any disturbances.

amelia88 likes this.
  9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That's good to know! It's something I would really like to do but I was honestly worried that everyone else would be really experienced and I would be lagging behind. We've all gotta start somewhere though in terms of bettering our skills!

10. travelguide

I don't think so. You will be comfortable in an elementary course and you can find too many people there. Every day a lot of people are joining Yoga courses from all over the world.

I think you are aware that Yoga is getting a lot of international attentions these days. United National Organization has already declared June 21 as International Yoga Day. World is becoming aware of its huge potential towards a disease free healthy life. Its main aim is to ensure health of your inner organs and at the same emphasize your mental health too. Yoga is definitely an invaluable gift of India's ancient tradition.

amelia88 likes this.
  11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I didn't know that a world yoga day had been announced but that is great that it's getting more and more publicity. Even here in my country I feel like yoga is getting much note popular and there are new yoga studios popping up all the time.

12. travelguide

A small correction, United National Organization may please be read as United Nations Organization (UNO). Regret the inconvenience caused.

In fact I have already attended the basic course of a Yoga session called "Art of Living" conducted by Art of Living Foundation (AOLF). The spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar is the founder of this great organization. The program was under a corporate scheme for a duration of seven days. I think it was a capsule module which was designed only for corporate employees.

It was really nice to have the session which enlightened me with both theoretical and practical classes. AOLF is present in 152 countries with the vision of a stress-free, violence-free society. They have a number of branches in US too.

13. Isafab

Isafab New Member

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm relatively new to yoga, but serious about it. I definitely want to attend a yoga center while I am in India, and I don't want anyone to think that my lack of abilities means I lack focus.

14. tabby

tabby Member

I'm only a beginner in yoga and was about to ask the same question raised by the thread starter. I definitely will have to start with something light though. Although I've always fantasized of going to India just for yoga training and then apply what I learn from there. It will definitely be awesome to become a certified yoga instructor from the very country that popularized it. Yoga is gaining popularity in my country too.

15. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

Ayurveda has proven to be one of the oldest, most powerful and most sophisticated medicinal systems in the world. Ayur means "life" and veda means "science" or "knowledge." So Ayurveda is a science or knowledge of life. It helps people realise that the body and the mind are connected. And in a way, believe that the mind is so powerful that it can heal your body and transform your life.

Here are some of the best Ayurvedic centres in India:

1. Ananda in the Himalayas - The great thing about this Ayurvedic centre is that they create personalised treatments for all their clients. They take into account the needs and the goals of the client before recommending a program for them. Ayurvedic treatments here doesn't only include massages or therapies, it's a holistic process of diet, detoxifying, exercise and other changes in the lifestyle of the person. They also use the Tridosha Theory in diagnosing their patients. The concept is, if one of your three doshas is aggravated, that's when the disease process begins. Here are some of the treatments they offer:
    • Choornaswedan - This treatment increases the circulation of blood, heals arthritis and rheumatism, relieves muscle pain and increases the elimination of toxins. It's a type of massage with the use of oils and later, sweat is induced by herbs.
    • Udwarthana - This massage helps break down the subcutaneous fat in the body.
    • Mukha Lepa - This is a beauty ritual done to cleanse, exfoliate, tone and hydrate the face by the use of herbs.
    Their address is: The Palace Estate, Narendra Nagar Tehri - Garhwal, Narendra Nagar, Uttarakhand 249175.

2. Carnoustine Ayurveda and Wellness Centre - This centre also focuses on harmonising the body and the mind. They combine traditional Ayurvedic methods with modern sciences to provide healing to their clients. They also have different treatment programs like:
    • Panchakarm -. This is their detoxification program. Panchakarma means five treatments of five actions. Aside from the treatments, it also involves changes in the diet and lifestyle.
    • Anti-Aging Program - This program slows down the raging process through treatments, yoga and meditation.
    • Weight Loss Program - This program involves body wraps, pizhichil and massages. Of course, lifestyle modifications and diet modifications are also included.
    Their address is: Opposite Chennaveli Church, State Highway 66, Mararikulam, Chennaveli, Chethy, Alappuzha, Kerala 688530.

3. Soukya - This Ayurvedic centre designed their buildings and vicinity in a way that helps the client heal just as they enter the place. The straight line tree seen upon you enter the centre, is supposed to help bring clarity and focus to the mind. The lights of their lamps are supposed to remove negative energy from the client. Some treatments here are:
    • Hot Stone Massage - The use of hot lava stones are supposed to relieve muscle spasms as well as relax the nerves.
    • Avagaha Swedam - The client is immersed in a warm concoction to help relieve back pain, rheumatism and painful urination.
    • Kati Vasti - Warm oil is placed on the lower back to remove the pain.
    Their address is: Soukya Road, Samethanahalli, Whitefield, Bangalore, 560067.

Yoga comes from the word "yuj" meaning the union of the individual consciousness with the universal consciousness. It is believed that when one is at harmony within, then he or she can live a calmer and more peaceful life. Some great yoga centres in India are:

1. The Yoga Institute - It was in 1918 when The Yoga Institute was first established. They aim to make yoga a way of life for their clients. They have special courses for yoga enthusiasts and even those who want to venture into teaching yoga. They even have vacation camps for children. Some of their courses are:
    • Seven Days Camp Insight into Yoga - This program helps the student learn the basics of yoga and how to incorporate it into their daily lives.
    • Couples' Classes - This program helps the couples understand each other better and keep the spark in their marriage lit.
    • Teacher Training Courses - They have one month, two months, three months and so on durations of classes.
    Their address is: Shri Yogendra Marg, Opposite Railway Quarters, Yoga Institute Rd, Prabhat Colony, Santacruz East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400055.

2. Parmarth Niketan Ashram - Although this is an ashram, they also have yoga courses in here. It was in 1942 when this ashram was established. The International Yoga Festival is also done here. They have different yoga programs:
    • Beginner Intensive Yoga - This is a 6-day course and helps the individual learn the basics of yoga.
    • Kriya Yoga and Meditation - Learn yoga while focusing on the main chakras of the body.
    • Weekend Spiritual Retreat - This is a 2-day course aimed to bring relaxation and rejuvenation to the body.
    Their address is: Parmarth Niketan Ashram, Main Market Road, Near Ram Jhula, Swarg Ashram, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249304.

I hope this helps!