1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Favorite Indian Dish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gabydi, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I’ve heard so many amazing things about Indian food and have tried many popular dishes, but I suppose that eating real Indian food in India is a totally different experience.

In my case I couldn’t choose only one, I have many favorites. I love the Momos, the red chutney they serve it with is spicy but amazing. Parathas with sweet curd are delicious but if I had to choose only one, maybe I’ll go with Gulab jaamun. I don’t know how they prepare this (if someone happens to know how they make this I’ll like knowing),but I’m telling you, it’s the best dessert I’ve ever had in my life.

What about you, what’s your favorite Indian dish?

Chahal likes this.

2. mscaver86

mscaver86 New Member

My favorite Indian dish is curry. I love the spices that is used in the food as well as the fact that salt is not necessary in every dish! I love spices and different flavors. I have not tried any deserts yet but I will definitely take your advice and try it out!

3. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

God, I'm telling you this dessert is amazing. They are like little balls made of a secret ingredient or something because they melt in your mouth and taste like nothing you have ever tried before. These dishes I mention will change your life. I'm not kidding, they are this good. The parathas are like a flatbread but they are prepared in a way that makes them taste so much better than our regular and boring flatbread, and the momos are like dumplings served with a spicy chutney. I love spicy food, maybe for this reason I'm so obsessed with Indian food. If you have a chance, please try these!

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

My favorite dish is Aloo Gobi which is a curry with potato and cauliflower. I love it because it's super flavorsome but I never feel heavy after eating it. I guess since it's vegetable based it's filling but still light.

Honestly though I love most curries out there! They're always so tasty.

5. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Gulab Jamun is one of my most favorite dishes. I am a sweet lover and crazy about sweet dishes. I even tried to make Gujab Jamun at home with milk powder as the main ingredient. But it was not so perfect as the one we get from the market. But I don't think they use milk power as the main ingredient.

Gulab Jamun is a traditional desert in India closely associated with religious festivals like Diwali and Ganesh Puja. But it is available round the year. It is quite similar to dough-nut in texture and has a good shelf life if you keep it in the sugar syrup hygienically.

Gori Bride likes this.
  6. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, so it's milk based? I was wondering how they do it, I would like to try to make these at home. You should give me the recipe! So, you're a travel guide? I'm going to be in Inda next year, I'm looking for adventure, my family and I are very into hiking and treks. What do you suggest? We wanted to go to Bhutan because there are amazing treks there, but if you happen to know about some adventurous mountains to explore with a tour I'll love to hear. I'll be waiting for your reply ok.

7. travelguide

Sure, I will send you the recipes, let me put it in words. Gulab Jamun which you purchase from the market is made out of dough or mawa and milk is only an ingredient in this. But for instant Gulab Jamun I use milk powder, which gives the same taste and texture. I think they will not use more milk as it would be very costly.

I am not a travel guide, but I have visited almost all parts of India. I had been to all cities due to job demands and acquired some knowledge about these things. It's my pleasure to help you.

8. moondebi

moondebi New Member

It would be difficult for me to choose one from that rainbow list of Indian food.

Good food has always been an attraction of selecting my travel destination. As a foodie, I have tried almost all the local foods wherever I had been. The variety and the tastes sometimes made me think that, many of the Indian foods have not been commercialized yet. Had that been done, the world could have tasted the amazing aromas, which are still not accessible to the mass.

The culinary skill of this country is something at par excellence. Simply for food, India could easily be a travel destination for many, sans the other obvious factors.

9. mscaver86

mscaver86 New Member

Wow that sounds awesome! I love food period I am definitely a foodie as well. I haven't had the pleasure of actually going to India and tasting the authentic taste of the food. I do have a friend from west Indiana and he has cooked for me several times and the dishes are pretty good. He tells me it can be better but some ingredients that they have in India is not here in New York.

10. travelguide

Please find below the recipe for homemade instant gulab jamun.

Ingredients :
    1) Milk powder – 1 ¼ cup
    2) Refined flour (Maida) – 1 cup
    3) Green Cardamom powder – ½ table spoon
    4) Ghee – 4 ½ table spoon
    5)Sugar – 1 cup
    6)Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
    7) Soda bicarbonate – ¼ teaspoon

A) Take ingredients 1,2, 3,7 in a bowl, add four tea spoon of ghee and mix it well.
    B) Heat sugar and 1 cup of water and cook to make it a syrup. Add lemon to it to make it transperant and remove the scum.
    C) Add sufficient water to the milk powder mixture prepared earlier and kneed into a soft dough. Make it into small balls. Now the first part is over.
    C) Now heat balance ghee in a kadai and fry the balls on low heat. Take it out when they are golden brown put it in the sugar syrup.

Your delicious homemade gulab jamun is ready. Serve it hot.

Gabydi likes this.
  11. Shanthakumar N

Shanthakumar N New Member

i like rice with chicken and mutton gravy it is very tasty

12. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, thank you so much for this! You’ve made me so happy, you just made my day. You really did! It looks so easy. I’m going to buy everything today and will try it on the weekend and I’ll let you know how it went. Thank you, thank you!

13. Selvie

Selvie New Member

You guys are all making me so hungry talking about all this great food. I love hot and spicy food. Rice with almost any curry is delicious. My favorite is chicken curry with rice and sambals. Ohh so tasty.

I love eating with my family and friends. I am great at cooking, but I still enjoy my mom's and aunts cooking. Somehow the taste is different than when I cook for myself. I am an indian in South Africa, so I still have to taste all the delicious cuisine in India.

ChaiNashta likes this.
  14. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

No one makes Gulab jamun at home in India, may be someone who is professionally trained. Not one of those dishes that people cook at home, we just buy them from sweet shops.

If you want to learn to make gulab jamuns then find someone to teach you one to one. Not something you can learn looking at a recipe.

15. arthnel

arthnel Member

I really like and would recommend trying Indian curry. While there are other versions around the World of curried dishes Indian cuisine hits the spot perfectly all the time with the right balance of spicy and flavorful. I've also had Dal and Roti and they are amazing also. I also love that India is so colorful in all aspects and this beauty is translated into language, culture and foods as well.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm also a big lover of curry, but even though Indian curry in certain countries is made nothing like it should be, for example it's all about the hotness rather than the flavours, I think when people try a real Indian curry they will get a totally different experience to what they thought they would, and what they'd been used to.

17. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

My favourite Indian dish is actually Bombay Sandwich (street food from Mumbai). It's an amazing snack that goes great with soda! It has a lot of vegies in it, so unlike most street food, this thing is actually healthy. And the best thing about it, it really doesn't take that much time to make. Anyone that went to Mumbai would tell you the same thing and that is that these sandwhiches are freaking delicous!

18. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

My favourite Indian dish would probably be Chicken Curry. I can eat this for days and I won't get sick of it lol. We cook this with potatoes and eat it with rice. I love the aroma and flavour of this dish. My husband, on the other hand, gets nauseous when he eats so much of this. He says it is too flavourful for his taste. Well, I'm actually the one who loves flavour in foods. I like creamy, tasty and salty food. I would love to try other Indian dishes. Too bad I don't know many Indian restaurants here in our country.

19. DevilKid

DevilKid New Member

I have so many! I am a huge foodie and I really like a lot of Indian Vegetarian dishes. My favourite would be Panner (with any type of curry). If something sweet, I really like Gulab Jamun's and Bundi. I went to Rajasthan once for a wedding and there I was able to try so many different sweets that I gained about 5KG's. I wish I had written down the list of all those sweets as they were just so tasty!

20. FlyatNight

FlyatNight New Member

When I was growing up I was quite a picky eater and my mom would sometimes make what I considered "inedible" dishes. I detested curry! She made a couple of things with curry, like this chicken soup that had coconut milk and curry it it; I couldn't even stand the smell of it when she cooked it. But then something happened to change all that. I don't even know what it was, or if everybody goes through this when they get older. Somewhere in my 30's I discovered that I really liked some curry dishes and I had to rethink my entire do not like list. So I went from hating curry and anything even remotely East Indian to really enjoying samosas, butter chicken, naan bread, as well as some of the other dishes that I don't know the name of. I'm a fan of spicy hot food so this kind of cuisine suits my tastes. The only problem is, I don't know most of the names of the dishes and in order to ever eat any, I pretty much have to take an experienced diner of Indian cuisine out with me. I am thinking though, that the food we get here is a much tamed down version of the real thing. Indian cuisine is starting to become trendy so there are new restaurants popping up all over the place. Does this happen in India too, I wonder? Do popular foods from other countries suddenly become "the" thing to eat? Do Indian kids not like "out there" foods that their mother tries out on them only to find that when they are older they like it? Are there American style restaurants in India, just like we have Indian style restaurants. I'd be really interested in knowing because if I go there, I am likely to want a taste of "home" as well as the native cuisine.

21. Delirium

Delirium Member

I'm gonna go ahead and be a bit basic and say paratha breads. Aside from the ever-popular curry, paratha is arguably the easiest Indian cuisine to make and to find.. especially in European countries. I'll admit that I haven't tried that many Indian dishes though. I don't really go out all that much, restaurants are incredibly expensive and Indian restaurants aren't much different, especially the good ones (sure, you can get them from the cheaper restaurants, but I'm afraid they won't taste good and would just ruin my expectations and hopes for Indian cuisine).

22. arthnel

arthnel Member

I have to throw my support at Indian curry. It's not about hotness, I agree, but more about such a great combination of sweet spices that you chew on over and over before the swallow. I would recommend trying a variety such as chicken curry, beef curry, shrimp, lobster, octopus, all taste wonderful when done the real Indian way. I think Indian curry is different because of ingredients from a tree (I don't know), but there is something called tumeric that adds to its special kind of spicy, sweetness.

23. RShacklefurt

RShacklefurt New Member

My favorite Indian food is Indian food.

When we eat out at a restaurant the favourites are butter chicken, lamb rogan josh, pork vindaloo (has to be super hot), Kashmiri chicken, aloo gobi, goat biriyani

cooking at home we make aloo gobi, mungbean and potato curry, channa dhal, chicken and cashew curry (the book I use uses english names).

You know, this question is just too hard. DOSAS. I forgot - dosas are also my favourite.

24. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

Keema

The first lunch I had in India was Keema, and I absolutely fell in love with the dish! Minced mutton curry with some samosas! MMM!!

I was actually surprised how good Indian food can be, and now that I'm back in the US, I'm missing it bad. Where I am in particular, finding Indian Restaurants is not an easy feat to do.

Does anyone here know how to make good Keema? I might even try it in the kitchen!

25. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

I love Indian food! I could eat it every day! I mostly enjoy the curry dishes, but my favorite dish is definitely the Goan Sorpotel. It's pork-based, spicy, and looks like a stew of sorts. It is to die for! I hope you can give it a try sometime, you won't regret it.

26. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Judging by the amount of comments on this thread up to now it seems like we're all foodies on here, that enjoy a good meal!

I think the cuisine that a country offers often goes a long way in showing the diversity of that country and in India I'd say that's more than true.

27. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I reckon for me it would be chicken tikka which has cream in it and also this baked in the oven and you use marinated masala spice mix sauce and also this can be nice with naan bread, and good for the winter months and enjoy making this in the weekends which can be good for a small family. This can be hot or mild and would require a cold iced drink as it can be hot for the taste buds and hope people have this in the evening, as in the day can be a bit too much for the stomach and mouth as well. I think that Indian dishes can be nice and also it is good to try new dishes and try a little amount so that the mouth can get used to it and for some people curry can be a bit hot even when it is mild.

28. rcdpink

rcdpink New Member

I had a few Indian pals that I used to hang out with back in my high school days. They were very good at cricket and we would all hang out sometimes at the pools. It was during this time that they introduced me to the Indian roti, it was so nice and I just could not replicate making one.

29. lstryhrn

lstryhrn New Member

My favorite Indian recipe to make at home is this Murgh Makhani, or Butter Chicken. It is the closest I've come to replicating my ffavoriteIndian place's Chicken Tikka Masala. This dish is excellent and pretty easy to make:

30. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

My personal favorite is aloo parantha. For those who don't know what a aloo parantha is, it is a wheat flour bread or you can say a wheat flour pankake with a stuffing on spiced potato stuffing. It tastes best when served hot with butter. It might not be a thing for diet conscious people but it's worth a try.

31. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

I like number of indian dishes but rice with curry is one of my favourite Indian dish

32. swalia

swalia Guest

I love South Indian cuisine- Masala dosa, Uttapam, Idli-sambhar, Vada and rasam. Being a Punjabi, I also love choley-bhature and makki di roti & sarson da saag. Having spent many years in Rajasthan, I love daal baati churma and kachori too.

33. Delilah

Delilah New Member

My favorite Indian dish is chicken Masala. I love to have it with cheese Naan. As for desserts, I am like you, Gabydi; I absolutely love Gulab Jaamun, especially when it's served with vanilla ice cream!

34. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

My favorite Indian dish is chicken butter masala and tandoori roti. I also like Hyderabadi biryani

35. jigisha

jigisha New Member

I love pav bhaji and pani puri. The street food is also really mouth watering. The dosa's, sandwich, sev puri, pani puri, ragda petis, etc etc etc. The list is endless! I haven't seen street food available at that large scale anywhere else in the world.You all should try them out sometime, they are simply delicious!
    The spices and flavors are one of a kind.
    The desserts too are all delicious like gulab jamuns, rasgullas, jalebi, penda, kulfi, etc. There is a huge variety to select from.