1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite Indian food

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ganine, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Ganine

Ganine New Member

I usually keep my mouth shut during my international trips, but I got some special craving for Indian food and now I got the chance to taste real Indian food. I am flying to India for the first time and really want to try every single flavor. My favorite picks from Indian food (which I have tried so far in Germany) are tandoori chicken, butter chicken, masala dosa and kadi. What are your favorites? Can you tell me about the things I should not miss in India.

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

When you say Indian food it is a very vast term as foods in different parts of India are very different from each other in terms or ingredients and the way they are cooked. The tandoori chicken, Butter chicken and Kadi are from the North and Dosa is a south Indian dish. These are not the only cuisines in India as you would find lots of Gujrati, Maharashtrian, Rajasthani, North Eastern cusines etc which are all very different from each other.

I am from Northern India and tandoori dishes are my favourite and I also like South Indian dishes like Dosas, Idli and uttapam etc. I am also a big fan of Punjabi Sarson ka saag and Makki di roti which you would only find in winters and only some restaurants make it good.

Once you are in India I would recommend trying different stuff from all parts of India.

3. Ganine

Ganine New Member

Thanks, I didn't know about so many choices and flavors. Even I like most of the tandoori dishes :)
    My husband prefers less spicy food so any suggestions for him?

4. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

My favourite is chow mein and momos. I am not too sure if the origin is India but you can find them everywhere in India :) In Delhi you find more then one vendor in every street corner and they sell pretty well too. It is however not recommended for regular consumption as it contains large amounts of aginomoto which is a cancer producing food and not recommended by doctors.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Your favorite dishes when ordered in India at some restaurant will turn out to be too spicy I can tell you that so make sure you order some yogurt with every meal because that is the only remedy when you find your food too spicy. Also specifying at the time of ordering to keep the spices at a bare minimum may or may not be of any help. Some people will suggest ordering a desert along side the main course but sugar does not help as the chemical that stings is fat soluble and only things like yogurt will have a real impact to pacify your soul :)

Gori Bride likes this.
  6. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

@Chahal You are absolutely spot on. A first times in India does not have a clue how spicy local food is and take it for granted that what they eat back home at Indian restaurants is what they would get here in India and that cannot be any further to the reality. I have learnt it after a long time that yogurt as you rightly mentioned is the only remedy when you are having spicy food. Any dairy product will do really not just yogurt so having the Indian lassi or raita (flavored yogurt) will also have similar effects.