1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airports In Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by JKewe, Jan 30, 2016.

1. JKewe

JKewe New Member

Three airports in Kerala? When I try to check airfares, I have to choose between Cochin, Trivandrum, or Calicut. How do I decide which one? Do I need to know where I am staying first?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

If I was you I would decide where I am staying, how long for and which is the nearest airport before trying to book anything. Have a plan before you start spending your money :)

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, decide where you are staying. Also, you can go to youtube to see videos of the airports, if that helps you decide. Doing a bit of research is great and can help you determine where you want to go and what you want to see.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, there are three airports in Kerala, namely:
    • The Trivandrum International Airport. This is undeniably the most important airport in Kerala. This airport links Kerala to some major international countries like Kuwait, Singapore, Sharjah, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Maldives, Colombo, Jeddah and Dubai. This airport also connects Kerala to domestic flights in cities like Chennai, Delhi, Kozhikode, Mumbai, Kochi and Bangalore. This airport is just about 4 kms away from the main city centre of Trivandrum. It is the first airport in Kerala and the fifth international airport to be declared in India. This airport also caters to the Indian Air Force and the Coast Guard when the need arises.
    • The Cochin International Airport. A relatively new airport built using stainless steel and glass, giving it a unique and beautiful look. It caters to international countries like Vienna, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Kuwait, Sharjah and Dhahran. There's also a wide range of domestic flights from cities like Agatti, Bangalore, Calicut, Chennai, Coimbatore, New Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Trichy and Trivandrum. Just last year, this airport came out to be the fourth busiest airport in India. This airport was also funded by over 10,000 non-resident Indians from 30 different countries.
    • The Calicut International Airport. This used to be a domestic airport but was given international status in 2006. Its international flights cater to Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha. Domestic flights are from Mumbai, Delhi and Coimbatore.
    First, you can choose an airport depending on where you're from. The most extensive airport is the Trivandrum International Airport catering to various countries and local cities. However, the Cochin and the Calicut Airports do cater to some cities that the Trivandrum Airport do not do so.

Next, you can also choose an airport depending on what is your planned itinerary. Where will you be going in Kerala? If you're destination is near Trivandrum, Cochin or Calicut, then you can decide based on that.

Lastly, you can decide based on your destination. If you're going to go sightseeing in the places where the airports are placed, then you can choose that airport.

I hope this helps!

5. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

On a personal note, I liked the Cochin airport better than the one in Trivandrum. I stayed at a place about the same distance from both, so that wasn't a factor. I felt that the people at the Cochin airport were quite a bit friendlier and more helpful, and the airport seemed cleaner and easier to navigate. Like the person above said, your first consideration should be your itinerary. Travel on roads can be a bit rough in India, especially if you have no prior experience with it.

briannagodess likes this.