1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Indian Recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by djordjem87, Nov 17, 2015.

1. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Hello every one. My name is Djordje and i am from Serbia. I love food and from a friend i heard a lot of great thing about food in India. Particularly about street food which , i think, has more levels of importancy because it tells bigger and broader story. I would like to see here some genuine recipes and if you know some please feel free to share with everybody.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Generally, street food is not something which is made at home, because it is easily available at places and is affordable.

Although these days people are beginning to make the street food at home due to health reasons.

One recipe I can share with you is aloo tikki, something my mother makes at home. It's quite brief as I only know the main stages of the recipe but it would work..;)

You will need:

Potatoes boiled
    Salt, onions, ginger, salt, garam masala, chilli powder, coriander powder and chaat masala.
    Yogurt (whisked)
    Sweet chutney (mixture of tamarind paste and some sugar, add pinch of salt and some chilli powder)
    Green chutney (blend together some mint, coriander, onion and chillies, salt and garam masala)
    Chopped onions

You need boiled potatoes which you need to mash up.

To this, you add finely sliced onions, ginger, salt, garam masala, chilli powder, coriander powder and some chaat masala and mix well.

Make the potato mixture into small balls then flatten to make a patty shape and shallow fry on a medium heat. Once cooked keep aside.

Next is plating. Put the tikki on a plate, on top of this add the yoghurt, then a bit of both the chutneys. Now add some chopped onions. and sprinkle some chaat masala on top.

And there you go you have tikki a popular street food in India.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

You must taste 'Bhel Puri' a street food by all standards. You will get it at beaches specially in Mumbai. It is easy to make too. I make it sometimes.

CHATPATI_BHELPURI.JPG
    Source: Wikimedia Commons

Ingredients

Main

Crisp purees - these one can buy
    Shev - this too is available in shops
    Puffed rice - available in shops
    Onions
    Boiled potatoes

Chutney ingredients

Green Chutney

coriander leaves
    green chillies
    salt
    ginger
    Jeera
    Lime juice

Sweet Chutney
    dates
    tamarind
    chilli powder
    jaggery
    ginger
    salt to taste
    Roasted Jeera

Method

Grind to a paste dates, tamarind and ginger. Cook on slow fire add jaggery, chilli powder and roasted jeera powder. Cool. Your sweet chutney is ready

Chop coriander leaves, chop green chillies, add jeera, chopped ginger, salt and grind to a fine paste. Add lime juice and mix well.
    Your green chutney is ready.

Method

Boil potatoes and cut the into tiny bits
    Mince onions
    Crush puris but keep one puri whole that serves as a spoon
    Add puffed rice

Mix these items and place them in a plate.
    Pour chutney over it.

Some use only sweet chutney. I like only sweet chutney.

P.S There is no hard and fast rule about what goes in this dish. With practice there could be adjustments made.