1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Agra

Discussion in 'North India' started by NitaAn, Aug 28, 2016.

1. NitaAn

NitaAn New Member

I would like to take my kids to Agra to see the world famous Taj Mahal. I know that the place is full of tourists all year and at times it is very busy and crowded, which is something I would wish to avoid.

I know for a fact that during the school holidays Agra would be crowded as well as on weekends. What time of the year or time of the month would you think is the best time to visit Agra.

Summers are a big no as well, which is evident because of the heat.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Generally, the climate in Agra is semi-arid bordering on humid subtropical. Its three seasons are winter, hot and dry summer and monsoon. Here's a breakdown of these three seasons:

1. Winter - This season is from October to March. For me, it's the best time to visit the region as the pleasant climate is inviting for sightseeing and exploring the city. Temperatures typically range between 6°C to 8°C, with the months of December and January as the coldest. It's also not uncommon for temperatures to go as low as 2°C during this season. Days are usually nice and sunny while the evenings are colder and more chilly. So in the day, you can do some sightseeing and exploring while the nights can be spent at restaurants or in your hotel. However, this is also the peak tourist season as the visitors want to enjoy the cooler temperatures in the city.

2. Summer - This is from April to June. Summers are extremely hot in Agra, with the temperatures ranging between 46°C to 50°C. It's not an ideal time to visit the city, like you said, because of the heat. Night temperatures are lower at 30°C to 40°C. However, there are not many crowds during this time and you also get good deals on the hotels. If you come from a colder or higher region, you might not be able to enjoy this season in Agra.

3. Monsoon - This is from July to September. The good thing about the monsoon season in Agra is that it doesn't get as much rains unlike the other regions in the country. Temperatures range between 24°C to 35°C. Since you wish to avoid the crowds and you don't like the heat during summer, then consider the monsoon season. There are not as many tourists during this time and you can get better deals on hotels and travel agencies too. Just make sure you bring your umbrella and rain paraphernalia so you can be prepared in case of a downpour of the rain.

So there you go, I highly recommend the monsoon season, if the rain does not bother you. The Taj Mahal also has a different aura during this season. I'd say mid-September to early October sees less of the crowds and the temperature isn't too hot nor too cold. You can also avail of bargains for hotels during these months.

I hope this helps.:)