1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Dwarka and Somnath

Discussion in 'Gujarat' started by Nandini, May 21, 2016.

1. Nandini

Nandini New Member

I have two places which I want to visit one is Dwarka and one is Somnath. The west part of India does get very hot in most months of the year and I need to know when the best time to visit Dwarka and Somnath is?

I was planning on visiting these places during late October, please advise if this is a good time?

How far is Dwarka from Somnath?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The best time to visit Somnath is during the winter season. The weather during winters here is pleasant and cool. Winter season is typically from November to February. The lowest temperature is at 10°C and the highest temperature during this time is at 32°C. Since Somnath is a popular pilgrimage place, visiting temples can be quite easy when the temperature is colder.

Summers in Somnath are from March to June. The maximum temperature during summer can be 42°C. The minimum temperature is at 24°C. It's hard to explore the city during this time as the heat can be unbearable. Monsoon season is from July to September in which temperature drops again. However, humidity rises which can be uncomfortable.

The best months to visit Dwarka are from October to March. This is the winter season as well. The winter season has favourable weather conditions for pilgrims as well. You can explore much of Dwarka during this time. Dwarka can typically be visited all-year round though.

Summers in Dwarka are from March to June. Fortunately, summers here are quite comfortable ranging from 23°C to 42°C. You can visit Dwarka during this time as well although it's not as cold. During monsoon season, the place gets quite attractive although rain showers aren't unusual. It's okay to visit this time as well but expect to be drenched in rain at times. Monsoon is from July to September.

October is past monsoon season and just the start of winter season. It's a great time to visit both places as the weather is quite good for sightseeing, touring and doing activities.

The distance between Dwarka and Somnath is about 231 kms via National Highway 51. This can take 4 to 5 hours of travel time.

I hope this helps!

3. Shiv

Shiv Member

I took my parents to Dwarka and Somnath during the month of January in 2014, and it was an ideal time to visit. The weather was perfect for traveling and sightseeing. I am not too sure about the other months, but I guarantee that the weather in January is perfect.

When we left for Somnath from Dwarka, we left early morning at 4.30am and we reached in 3 and half hours, yes the driving was fast, but the main reason was there was very less traffic.

4. Rako

Rako Guest

What do you think about Dwarka when the monsoon comes?