1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Manali

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Hejal, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hejal

Hejal New Member

There is a debate going on in my family about when the best time to visit Manali is.

We all want to go and don't have a clue whether we should go next month or in January. I think both months are very different weather and experience wise in Manali, but this time, I think we would like to go with the suggestions from the forum members.

So guys let me know when you think the best time to visit Manali is?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Hejal! Welcome to the forum!

Manali is an all-year round tourist destination. Each season or month offers something different for tourists. Here's a little breakdown of the seasons in Manali and reasons for visiting during that time:

1. Winter - This is from October to February. These are the months that you can experience fresh snowfall in Manali. Although the roads leading to Manali are open, roads towards Leh and even Rohtang Pass are closed. Day time temperatures are between 7°C to 9°C. Night time temperatures can sometimes reach below zero though. Snow activities like skiing, snow boarding and sledding can also be done during this time. Hotels are usually fully booked from December 25 to January 3 so if you're visiting during this time, do book in advance. The climate is extremely cold and if you come from a lower lying area, do carry heavy woollens as the cold temperature might be new to you.
    • Best For - People who love snow and cold temperatures, people who enjoy snow activities and those not venturing out of Manali.
    • Must Bring - Woollen clothes, jackets, winter paraphernalia like gloves, bonnets and snow shoes.
    2. Summer - This is from March to June. During the months of March and April, day temperatures are between 10°C to 12°C and night temperatures are around 1°C to 3°C. During May to June, day temperatures are between 15°C to 25°C and night temperatures are around 9°C to 10°C. This is also the peak tourist season so do book your hotel in advance. Chances of snowfall are rare during these months though. However, activities like paragliding, zorbing, river rafting and horse riding can be enjoyed. During the month of May, roads leading to Leh and Rohtang Pass are opened. However, it's not a good time to visit these places as the snow melting can lead to road blocks and landslides. It's best to wait until the end of June before reaching these places.
    • Best For - People who want to get away from the heat of the city and those who want to try adventure activities.
    • Must Bring - Light woollen clothes and sunblock.
    3. Monsoon - This from July to September. This is considered as an off-peak tourist season. Day time temperatures are between 15°C to 20°C. Night time temperatures are between 8°C to 10°C. It's the best time for budget travellers as most hotels give discounts to guests. It's also a great time for apple picking as orchards are teeming with fresh and large produce. However, sometimes, roads might be blocked due to rains. There's not much you can do as well especially if the rains are quite strong. If you're going to Leh, then roads leading to it are opened already by this time.
    • Best For - Bargain hunters and nature lovers. Also, good season for visiting Leh passing by Manali.
    • Must Bring - Light woollen clothes, umbrella and rain paraphernalia.
    It really depends on what are your interests and goals are. If you're aiming for snow, then do consider the winter season. If you'd like to see snow but do not want to be with the crowds, then the months of January to February are best for that. If you would like to do some sightseeing, then consider the summer season. For bargains, then the monsoon months are the best for you. I hope this helps!