1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Ranthambore

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Shivanshi34, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shivanshi34

Shivanshi34 New Member

My husband and I want to take our kids to Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan, but we want to make sure we go at the right time and the weather is good.

We have avoided the summer season purely because it would be too hot, other than that when do you suggest the best time to visit Ranthambore is?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Ranthambore tiger reserve.jpg

So first of all, the Ranthambore National Park is not open all-year round. It remain open from the first of October until the end of June only. The remaining months, from July to September, the national park remains close because of the monsoon season and also because this is the mating time for the animals. Keeping this in mind, you are now left with two seasons, which are winter and summer, to visit the national park. Barring the summer season, since you are not too comfortable with the heat, that leaves you with one option, which is the winter season. But to be fair, let us highlight the pros and cons of both seasons:

Best Time to Visit Ranthambore - Winter & Summer (A Comparison)

CategoryWinterSummer
    MonthsOctober to FebruaryMarch to June
    Temperatures2°C to 29°C17°C to 45°C
    Best ForBird WatchingTiger Spotting
    Other ActivitiesWildlife Safari, Trekking and SightseeingWildlife Safari & Photography
    ClothingJacket, Gloves, Scarf, Bonnet & Long PantsLight Cotton Shirt and Pants (Sunscreen!)
    So this is a little breakdown of both seasons and what you can expect from them when in the Ranthambore National Park. Below, I will highlight more about these pros and cons of both seasons.

Detailed Comparison of Winter & Summer in Ranthambore

1. Winter Season - The winter season is between the months of October to February. While October and November remains pleasant, with temperatures not exceeding 30°C, the remaining months are colder. January is the coldest month, with temperatures reaching 2°C. This is actually the peak tourist season because the pleasant climate is appropriate for wildlife safaris and even sightseeing tours around the national park. However, spotting tigers might be more difficult during this time as they don't come out easily. If you want to see tigers, opt for the morning safaris and make sure that your guide/driver takes you near the watering holes. Birds can be easily spotted during this time though as this is the migratory season for them. There are over 270 species of birds in the national park which include woodpeckers, covers, pigeons, pipits, orioles, crows and many, many more. For spotting birds, make sure that you go to the areas of watering holes like the Padam Lake, Surwal Lake and Malik Talao. The Ranthambore Fort and even the Raj Bagh Ruins are also hot spots for bird watching. And because the weather is cooler, visiting these attractions inside the park won't be as challenging or uncomfortable as compared to the summer season.
    • Best season for - Bird watching and sightseeing, even trekking.
    • Remember - Wear warmer clothes especially if you're not used to cold climates.
    2. Summer Season - The summer season extends from March to June. March is a little more pleasant with temperatures not exceeding 35°C. The hottest months are April and May, with temperatures reaching beyond 45°C at times. Thus, it can be uncomfortable since the heat and humidity can be too harsh. The good feature of this season though is that there are less coverings in flora and at the same time, the animals venture into the watering holes for some relief from the heat. You have higher chances of seeing tigers too, as compared to the winter season. If you like photography, you can get good pictures of animals during this time too, with the clearer weather. You can also spot other large mammals like leopards, jungle cats, sloth bears and jackals during this season. Abundant in the park as well are sambars, chitals, chinkaras and wild boars. Sightseeing and trekking though are not suitable activities during this time.
    • Best season for - Tiger spotting and photography.
    • Remember - Wear lighter clothes to keep your cool.
    As a general rule, do wear clothes in earthy colours like green, brown or flesh so as not to scare the animals away. Also, book your safari in advance so that you won't need to queue once you get there.

I hope this helps you!:)

Kate Collins likes this.

3. Mohit Eagle

Mohit Eagle Member

Although all the information has been posted, I would still like to share my personal experience.
    I visited Ranthambore during the month of November and the weather and time to visit the reserve was perfect. The weather was neither too cold or too hot, which meant that when visiting the surrounding areas and also the reserve itself we had no issues. I think that it is during this time too that most of the animals do come out in the open, so it would give you a great opportunity to see the animals especially the tigers.

4. Deven

Deven Member

I would suggest calling up the hotel or the park to find out whether it is open or not. As sometimes due to certain reasons like weather or a problem in the forest Ranthambore sanctuary maybe closed.

5. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

WOW This is definitely informative and helpful. Love this, thank you for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2020
  6. Karthik

Karthik New Member

Rajasthan is a hot state, and as you are traveling with kids I would like to suggest that you go during the winter season. From November to March.

7. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Does temperature go as high as 50 degrees Centigrade?

8. Gayu

Gayu New Member

In Rajasthan, it can go up near enough to 50. I think it once did reach 50c which was near a place called Thar Dessert (in Rajasthan).

9. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Oh! That's unbearable, it can cause heat exhaustion. Dehydration, headache, dizziness and tiredness are some of the effects.