1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Time to Visit Shimla

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Ahuja1979, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Ahuja1979

Ahuja1979 New Member

I would take my wife and 6-year-old daughter to Shimla as we have not yet seen this destination. I have been reading a lot about Shimla, and the conclusion I have found out is that Shimla is a destination which is good in both seasons summers and winters.

To be honest, I don't think I would go back to the same destination anytime soon. It would be another 5 - 6 years or even more until I visit Shimla again. I would also like to make the trip memorable and enjoyable for myself and my family, so please give your honest opinion on the best time to visit Shimla.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It really depends on what your interests and likes are. Some opt to visit Shimla in the winter, while others opt to visit it in the summer. What do you enjoy the most? Do you like snow and snow sports? Does your daughter enjoy the cold climate? Will she have fun playing with snow? If yes, then consider visiting Shimla during the winter. After the monsoon, from October to February, you can witness snowfall in Shimla.

Consider the following places during winter:

• Explore Kufri. Sports activities are enjoyed here. You can try skiing, snowboarding, trekking, tobogganing or trekking. For your daughter, she can enjoy ice skating.
    • Take the toy train and enjoy the sceneries.
    • Visit the Ridge. Shopping, eating and just lounging around can be done here.
    But if your family likes greenery and lush flora, then you might want to consider visiting Shimla during the summer. Unlike other summer getaways, the summers in Shimla remains relatively cool. From the months of March to June, you can get away with wearing light wooden clothes and enjoy Shimla.

Consider the following places during summer:

• Summer Hills getaway. Consider going before the sun rises so you can see it rise here.
    • Visit Annandale. Offers beautiful sceneries of its meadows.
    • Explore the Shimla State Museum. Perfect for families with kids like you to learn more about the history of Shimla.
    I hope this helps!