1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bhangarh Fort - The most haunted place in India

Discussion in 'Travelogues' started by Chahal, May 16, 2015.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I dont know how many of you believe in ghosts but that is exactly what Bhangarh has become famous for. I have been there three times so my post is going to be a mix of all three visits.

Bhangarh is between Delhi and Jaipur and a good way to go to Bhangarh is to include it on your visit to Sariska tiger reserve as Bhangarh is very close to Sariska tiger reserve. Bhangarh is in Alwar district of Rajasthan. The road from Delhi to Alwar is pretty good apart from the patches where roads are being built and a few fly overs that cause traffic jams especially at night when there are lots of trucks on roads.Road from the Main Delhi Jaipur highway to Bhangarh is in bad shape so make sure you have a spare tyre and also have your food on the main road some where as there is absolutely nothing up until Bhangarh where there are a couple of very lousy pakora shops which you will have to look for and most likely wont find as you wont know the area. Asking the locals is an option if you can find one as that area is very scarcely populated.

Bhangarh.jpg

Bhangarh fort opens early morning at sun rise and as you can see in one of the pictures there is a small barrier which is manned.

As you get to the main entrance there is a small parking area to the left side of the main gate. You can get a guide there if you like but those guys hardly know anything, you can get better info on this thread as compared to what a guide would tell you.

When you enter the gates there is a temple to the right hand side and not just that but there are lots and lots of temples in that fort boundary. The houses and the market are all cut off at the same length which looks a bit spookey and no one really knows how that happened. There is one dancers haveli on the way and also a Purohit's haveli and lots of shops and houses as we approach the main palace. There is a courtyard with a huge banyan tree there and to the left there is a very beautiful temple and a small water body with flowing water that comes from the hills behind the palace.

One thing to note is that there is no electricity through out the fort.

We took the stairs and got into the palace which is all broken to pieces with stones and sculptures scattered all over the place. There is a temple of Rani Ratnavati inside the fort which is more or less intact but rest of the palace roofs are all broken. You can get to the top floor using the stairs and have a view of the whole area and appreciate the planning and design that looks wonderful from above. From inside the palace one can also see if anyone is approaching the palace from a very long distance. I took a few pictures from the roof top which you can see below and in the Bhangarh media album (Link to album is at the bottom of this post).

To the right side of the palace (when you stand facing the palace from down below) there is a hill top with a canopy that locals call "Tantrik ki chatri". Legend goes that a tantrik used to live there and fell in love with The queen Ratnavati but after lots of attempts he could not get the queen's attention so he destroyed the whole fort with his magical powers. That is how the story goes and I have no idea how true that is. I have spent a whole night at this tantrik ki chatri but never saw the tantrik or any sign of him nor did I hear any noises.

I will now leave you to have a look at the pictures from Bhangarh. I hope you like them.

Please feel free to ask questions as I am sure I must have left out some details.

Here is the link to rest of the pictures in media gallary : Bhangarh

I hope you like them.

Debapriya Deb and BadBoy like this.

2. Anurag

Anurag Member

I have seen a few news documentaries on this place, and reporters did not feel any presence of ghosts.
    @ Chahal - do you see or feel anything out of the ordinary? Or is it just a saying that the place is haunted.

3. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

Beautiful pictures I must say. I am still in Goa and will be returning to Delhi soon and if I get a chance I would most likely plan a trip to Bhangarh too. Any tips on what else to do in the area and any good hotels near by?

4. Chahal

I did not feel or see anything there. It is a nice place to visit and these ghost stories add to the curiosity which is bringing in more tourists to this place.

5. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Pictures look good. Thanks for sharing and I am very tempted to have an encounter with ghosts myself :)

Where do I stay if I do plan a visit? You have mentioned there are no hotels around there. Which would be the nearest town/city to stay over night any ideas?

6. Chahal

If you come via Delhi Jaipur highway then you would find a few hotels on the highway before you make a turn for Bhangarh. I wont recommend an over night stay because there is nothing to do there apart from 3-4 hours at the fort. Think of Bhangarh as a stopover on your way to another destination as it is more of a picnic place and not a place where you could spend a few days. This is the reason there are no hotels around and no good places to eat either. Roads are also broken with huge pot holes.

7. MonikaGulati

MonikaGulati New Member

Very well written Chahal and fantastic pictures. I would love to go to such a place, but I don't think I have the guts to go to such a place even if it is the day time.

8. Chahal

Thanks Monika. I would have taken better pictures if I knew I would be posting on this forum one day. Do check out the Bhangarh pictures album in the media gallery.
    There is nothing scary about the place from what I saw. Just some old stories that locals have been spreading around for years probably because the place is deserted and has no electricity so it gets very dark in the whole area after sunset.

9. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Without electricity how does the security staff manage at night and how do they get water without electricity? If there are no guards at night then it would be easy to go inside at night and have an adventure :)

10. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

A lot of people have been to this place and a lot of TV crew have also been there are night, but not experienced anything unusual, the same applies for a lot of other haunted places as well. I have not experienced seeing ghosts myself so until I see I ghost I can not say anything.

11. Prateek Harshwal

Prateek Harshwal New Member

Bhangarh this is rainy season. There is abhaneri (chand baori - step well) near by. Nearest town is Dausa/Alwar but Jaipur is only 2 hours away. It could be covered in a day's journey, it is said that the ruins are haunted. I have been there every time of the day/night. One may experience different energy levels at times. It closes in dawn and none is allowed to enter the premises after sunset. Though there have been many daredevils who have tried to go there in night but I don't see any sense in risking anything for such adventure. :)

Tanmaya and ChaiNashta like this.
  12. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Once a guy from the show road less travelled on History Tv stayed their he witnessd nothing there

13. Chahal

Me and Smoothvibes stayed over night and that too at the tantrik ki chatri that is said to be the place where that evil tantrik lived. We had a large icebox full of beer cans and some snacks to eat. We were awake all night and saw nothing. We did make stupid noises to scare other people who live around there :) Stories is all we hear and nothing to see or experience.

If some one is getting inspired to climb their way to that tantrik ki chatri at night then please dont. It is not safe.

BadBoy and ChaiNashta like this.
  14. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Thats sounds cool, very cool..

15. Prateek Harshwal

Chand Baori step wells near Bhangarh, there is an ancient temple also adjacent to the place named 'Harshal Mata Mandir'
    Chand Baori; A stepwell situated in the village of Abhaneri near Jaipur in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Constructed in 800 c. and is one of the deepest and largest step wells in India. 3500 narrow steps in 13 stories and a 100 feet deep.

4b3e3d151c5452243ba739cf693fdf8c.jpg

ChaiNashta and Chahal like this.
  16. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

Is there anyway we can get special permission to visit the fort at night? I am quite into haunted places and have visited a few so called haunted spots, but Bhangarh Fort seems very popular and I think that unless your at night you can not really experience a place being haunted.

I don't know if I should barge the thread, but anyone been to Agrasen ki Baoli in Delhi?

17. Chahal

From what I know only film crews or news channels are able to get permission to film at night that too with due permissions. I have not heard of individuals getting permissions to enter at night.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

18. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

@Chahal Do you recommend any hotels around this place and should I be staying more then two days? Is there much to do apart from this fort?

19. Prateek Harshwal

@Jessica There isn't much to do around the ruins. It would not take more than 3-4 hours into the fort. As its situated in remote area adjacent to forest you will not find any hotels nearby. You may include it in Jaipur stay, its almost 95 kms away from Jaipur and very well connected by road ( mostly Jaipur-Agra Highway). You may take a cab and visit Abhaneri first in morning and rest of the day can go see Bhangarh & And return to your hotel in Jaipur by night.
    @Chahal Sorry I was online so took the liberty to reply on your behalf.

Jessica_91 and Chahal like this.
  20. Chahal

I agree with @Prateek Harshwal , there is absolutely nothing around there and not even a half decent place to eat so pack your sandwiches from a cafe coffee day if you are coming from Jaipur side or get something from the Nirulas (when coming from Delhi it will be on your left and it is on the ground floor of Days hotel which has a prominent sign) at Neemrana if you are coming from Delhi.

The only hotels that you would find are on the Delhi Jaipur highway.

I wont advise wasting a full day and night over Bhangarh. The best way to do it would be to stay at Sariska and travel the 40-50Kms to Bhangarh one morning and return back to Sariska in the afternoon. Sariska is a wild life national park and is less then an hour and a half away from Bhangarh. There are plenty of properties where you can stay at Sariska.

Most people who go to Bhangarh do not have an idea how close Sariska is and they just go the Bhangarh and return back to Delhi or where ever they come from.

Jessica_91 likes this.
  21. Chahal

For those people who go there to unwind a bit be aware that there are no wine shops around that place and the only lousy shop there is sells country liquor and beer that tastes like hell. Carry your own stuff if you need it.

Jessica_91 likes this.
  22. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

Now that is some real info. I was under the impression that you cannot carry bottles around from one state to another. Last time I was in India I saw stamps saying only for sale in so and so state where ever I bought it from.

23. Akshay

Akshay Member

I have seen a lot programs on TV regarding Bhangarh, and all the programs involved people staying overnight at the fort some with experts and some without and nothing has been experienced, so the whole haunted thing seems very fake, and yet its classified as being one of the most places in India.

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

24. Chahal

There is no official classification for how haunted a place is. I could wake up one day and declare my own house as the most haunted place on Earth but it does not necessarily mean you would experience something when you come for a visit.

Just my own opinion

25. Ashish Jeff

Ashish Jeff New Member

Hiii guys bhangarh is a really haunted place but in day time it is the most beautiful place u have ever seen I am from Alwar which is near from bhangarh about 25 km

26. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Those pictures are amazing, there’s a certain air of mysticism in that place. That story of Singhia and Ratnavati is very popular, but there’s also another story about Balu Nath, a guru who threw a spell to the city. Is it true that in the entrance there’s a sign that says you can’t be there at night and before sunrise? I know it could be to avoid vandalism or something, but what if spooky things really happen. I don’t know about you but I’m dying to visit Bhangarh.

27. Chahal

Yes there is a sign saying entry is prohibited after sun set and before sun rise but this is not specific to this monument alone, any place that is maintained by ASI (Archaeological survey of India) has the same rules and regulations which include no entry at night.

28. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor New Member

Looks awesome! I'll make sure to make my way over there on my next rip to India. I've always loved those kind of still and preserved places like that. It'd be great for photography as well, which is a field that I'm wanting to maybe dip my toe into. Great post!

29. Noril Salvo

Noril Salvo New Member

Ghost stories aside, it really looks beautiful during the day. I would't mind going there at all. It looks really special. Since it was known for the stories, it probably has some very rich history. Legendary history at that.

30. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, so it’s not because it’s haunted and something can happen to visitors? Just kidding, but I truly wish it was haunted. I love all these stories and I’ve read a lot about Bhangarh because of this. I’m going to India next year and I think this will be one of my first stops.

I don’t know how people manage to take decisions in regard to what they’ll have time to visit and what they’ll leave for other time. India is huge and has too many awesome places. I definitely need to become a millionaire so that I can stay there for two or three months and see all that I want to see.

31. Chahal

I am sure you would one day but to visit India for 3-4 months you do not have to be a millionaire. Traveling in India using public transport is probably the cheapest in the world and if you can get used to eating what locals do then you hardly need $4-5 per day for food and accommodation could be as low as $12-15 in a not so bad room. Make friends here in the forum and you might be able to stay free at some places :) Indians are very hospitable in that respect.

HIraeth, BadBoy and princess like this.
  32. Hyperion

Hyperion New Member

Doesn't look very haunted, but then again I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in demons.
    In reply to Chahlal, I have heard India can be quite cheap to stay in. $12\night is pretty cheap. I worked at an Indian restaurant in the US and fell in love with the food. That is the main reason I want to go.

33. Shanaya

Shanaya New Member

Having visited the place myself, I would certainly recommend a visit to this beautiful yet spooky place. On our trip, we met a person riding his bicycle, and was kind enough to answer our questions regarding the fort. According to him, long back a king Madho Singh who ruled the land, had constructed this fort. There lived a sadhu in that area who was known to worship Lord Shiva. While the fort was being constructed, the sadhu pleaded that the fort must not cast shadow on the area he lives at, to which the arrogant king had turned a deaf ear and had raised the walls of his fort to a height at which they casted shadow on the area where the sadhu lived. Annoyed sadhu cursed the king and his land for destruction and thus the result, no one can live in the fort area as no ceiling can be hold to a house till date.

HIraeth and travelguide like this.
  34. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Wow, it looks like Bhangarh will give me the creeps. Maybe it is worth a try but I'm sure my wife would prefer to see the tigers in the reserve, waheehee. It's no joke to be scared like that - going inside a haunted place. We have a place like that called Corregidor, an island fort that used to house soldiers during the second world war. Most of the people I know who have been there sait the place is surely haunted. No, I haven't been there yet and I have no plans, waheehee.

35. Prateek Harshwal

Ready to go Bhangarh any day, its a day trip back and forth from Jaipur

36. WAMZ

WAMZ New Member

I love myself a good ghost story! Like most people here, I've seen documentaries on Bhangarh, where ghost hunters try and track down any supernatural phenomena. Well, I don't believe in ghosts, but I love the whole mystery that surrounds sites like Bhangarh. So it's definitely on my bucket list.

When I was in Mumbai I happened to pass through the D’Souza Chawl in Mahim that's also said to be haunted. Apparently some lady fell in a well and now haunts the place every single night. So if you're a fan of ghost stories like me, then you ought to check it out as well.

Chahal likes this.
  37. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think that is a nice interesting story, thanks for sharing. Is it true that till date there are no buildings in nearby areas. That is just amazing and quite unbelievable! Personally I like spooky paces like this. I wish I could be there once. As per a feedback received from one of my friends, when you are in a group you will not be able to experience anything unusual about.

In same cases there are people who deliberately create scenes like this to gain popularity. I heard similar incidents about temples just to make it famous. But I think Bhangarh is really a haunted place.

38. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 New Member

How incredible! I find spooky places to be some of the most fascinating. I am always open to the possibility that a place could be haunted, but I don't assume every noise is a ghost either. Your photos are great, and they make me really want to visit for myself.
    I will definitely be adding this beautiful place to my bucket list.

39. nemanjanp

nemanjanp New Member

Wow! As someone who is addicted to this sort of spooky stuff, this is another great reason to visit India. I'm most definitely visiting this one as soon as possible. When i think about it, I really didn't explore these aspects of India. The first thing I will do next is actually check if there is more to this and share it with you guys!

But overall, since my knowledge in this things about India is pretty slim, is there actually more haunted places? Anything scary in particular?

40. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I went to Bhangarh a few years back, it wasn't a planned journey but we had a few days free in Jaipur. It didn't seem particularly haunted to me, but it was very serene and peaceful. There was a great feeling of the past to the place, during my journey there it was a sunny, clear day and the view was majestic. A truly beautiful place and well worth seeing.

HIraeth likes this.
  41. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think the feeling that the place is a haunted one itself will give you some sense of thrill or fear or whatever it is. You can find a lot of stories on net which describes this place as the most haunted place of Asia. Being a fan of Hollywood horror movies, I will definitely give it a try.

In fact I was unaware of this place before joining this forum. Now I realize that even after being an Indian, my knowledge about India is very limited. Thanks to this amazing forum for updating my knowledge.

42. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As others have said I also think if a place is haunted or not will come down to if they believe it or not.

If you go there expecting to see ghosts or get the feeling something isn't right, you'll probably find you'll be a lot more frightened even if nothing happens than you would be as a cynic.

43. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

This is wonderful! I was looking for information on how to get to Bhangarh and where to stay for a long time now, I had even posted on another section of the forum regarding the same but didn't find any help there. This answers so many of my questions. I had no idea that the fort had no electricity. That must add to the already spooky atmosphere of the place.

@Chahal Can you tell me what are the timings of the fort, particularly the closing time? You said the fort is closed to tourists at night, unless we take permission. But are there security guards to check for people who might have stayed behind? The place, from your photos, looks pretty deserted and desolate. And without any decent source of light I can't imagine how the authorities keep track of tourists.

Also, just curious, did you find anything unusual during your visits there?

44. Chahal

I dont remember any mention of timings there but normally ASI buildings open from dawn till dusk and I dont see why it would be any different at Bhangarh fort.

I dont think any one stays behind at night.

HIraeth likes this.
  45. Tiffani Walker

Tiffani Walker New Member

You are most definitely right because after reading through this, my interest is piqued! So you didn't experience anything supernatural on your visit there?

That would be one of the main reasons for my visiting and even though I'm kind of a chicken, I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't see anything scary. LOL.

46. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Wow sounds interesting, it's always nice to visit spiritually meaningful places, you just get weird vibes, who knows if there are really ghosts at Bhangarh or not, but the feeling stays.

47. Jani

Jani New Member

Oh, my! I will have to make sure that I visit here. You have me intrigued. I love anything spooky, and this sounds like the real deal. I'm already scared, just thinking about it, which makes me even more excited to experience it.

48. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

It is the only Indian place which is confirmed haunted even by the Archeological Survey Of India. If you enquire the locals there, they will tell you tell you several scary stories about this spooky destination. Hearing those stories alone is sure to give spinal chill to a girl like me.

49. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have not been to Bhangarh in person, however, I have see Bhangarh fort in a TV documentary where the narrator explained the story why it is considered the haunted place. The fort looked very normal to me, however, the story of haunting was really intriguing. When I am in India I will make sure to visit this place. The pictures you have shared are amazing.

50. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Thanks for the pictures and background Chahal. I love a good ghost story but who is supposed to be haunting the place? I would definitely go for the architecture and views alone. Is it very busy during the day or are there usually only a few tourists walking around?

51. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Beautiful pictures. I'm wondering what the talk is all about. I have visited a few sites around the world they claimed were haunted. I didn't find anything unusual about them. I think a lot of people use this to attract tourists. Not sure if this is the case here or not.

52. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Thanks, those are very beautiful pictures but no signs of ghosts anywhere. The place has an ancient feel to it which probably gives it that haunted reputation. At least that is what I can tell from the pictures but I hope to visit the city one day and experience the haunting, and the breathtaking scenery, first hand.

53. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I have never seen a ghost in my whole life, and trust me I have tried and tried. If I were to go to the most haunted place on earth and not see or feel a ghost then guess I would give up my quest to find a real ghost.

54. rz3300

rz3300 Member

You could not pay me to go there and snoop around. I remember when I was a kid I always had trouble going near graveyards, and so this might just take that to a whole other level. I am sure that it is really interesting and fascinating to see, but I would just have to miss out given my propensity to get freaked out and panic. Oh well, at least I can rely on others for some good photos.

55. Startlet245

Startlet245 New Member

I love it when people include key information, like here about the need to take your own food. I would be more likely to go if there were definite reports of hauntings!! Perhaps those stories were spread to keep people away at night and avoid accidents? Or the opposite - to attract people like me?

56. I didn't where the haunted part came in; is there a local story or something? Usually I don't believe in such of ghost stories but I do like to go check out the place myself and try to prove people wrong. I must add this to my travel list for later this summer.

57. tabby

tabby Member

I don't believe in ghosts, but if they're real I don't want an encounter either, haha! Anyway, the way you described Bhangarh just makes me want to go there. I wish I will have that opportunity to visit there sometime in my lifetime. I've been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and I truly loved it there. I like ruins, ancient places. Looking at your beautiful pictures made me more curious about this place. They're definitely something I would truly enjoy. The first few pictures reminds me of Scotland (another place I'd like to visit) with its hills and fortresses.
    Anyway, thank you for your generosity of sharing these travel information and breathtaking pictures!

58. rajesh

rajesh Member

I really don't believe in 'Haunted' kinda stuff. Well, is just a beautiful historical place for visitors and tourists. However, the ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) erected a board saying that visiting that place between sunset and sunrise prohibited. I really can't understand why! I must say, the 'ghostly' thing is just a rumour. People like to share ghost stories and the stories about this place is very exciting that's why this place is called haunted. Well, I really want to go to this place, I will definitely check this place out. I will share my reports on ITV (India Travel Forum). :) ;)

59. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I would definitely love to be able to visit this someday. There's something appealing about a mysterious location and the things you might uncover. Sure it might be bone-chilling at night, but I believe it has the recipe to be an incredibly memorable experience, especially if you are with someone. Thrill seekers should really try it out, I for one am excited to see it someday.

60. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Man that does look insanely creepy. I always enjoy these old places as far as visiting goes because the notion that they are haunted brings forth an added interest. I'll definitely be looking more into this as the time goes on. Any other pics you want to post I'll add this to a watched thread. Is there any other haunted places around that area?

Have you actually experienced any paranormal events there? I am a firm believer in this kind of stuff but I myself have never seen it. I do keep an open-mind though and never shoot down the ideas of people that do/don't believe it. I would love at least one time to experience something like that. If I ever travel there this will be on my list of things to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  61. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

I have never had any paranormal experiences, but I am certainly a believer in such things that cannot be well understood. I wonder how common these experiences are, and is there any documentation of these experiences. Those pictures of the area are so beautiful I can't imagine having negative feelings there.

62. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

All spooky stories about Bhangarh Fort are rumors spread by those superstitious locals who have long believed that this is a cursed and haunted place. But it makes it a really cool place to visit. One should rather enjoy the architecture and the long and proud history associated with this fort.

63. djtravels

djtravels Member

Is this the place that was featured on that MTV show where they sent girls to "investigate" things?
    I don't know about Bhangarh, but there is a village in Rajasthan that's been covered a lot by the media and everyone who goes there gets recordings and other evidences all the time. The village is called Kuldhara and is one of the world's most haunted places. Take your "non-believers" there and spend a night there.

64. vkar

vkar Member

I have been reading and hearing a lot about this place. I am not sure if the place really deserves the hype that is associated with it or if it’s just that, hype after a few tv features One things is sure though, it has got me curious. I definitely have to see the place for myself once.

65. djtravels

djtravels Member

Yeah, it was through TV that I heard about this place. You know that ghost hunter who mysteriously died a few months back? He had actually done a feature on this place for a news channel before his death!