1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycling In The City

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Arianne, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Arianne

Arianne Member

Is it as difficult bicycling in the major cities as it is driving? We were thinking if we could rent a couple of bikes we could tour the city on bicycle instead of paying to be taxied around. The other question is, do they have places to park your bike outside the major tourist places? I would worry about it being stolen while I was inside a building.

2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

There is a lot of traffic and riding a bike in the city might not be a good idea. You can try them outside cities in the countryside though, if you are very keen to ride a bicycle. Besides, there are no cycle tracks as in some countries in Europe.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would say that avoiding it in the city and the more populated areas is a good idea like Rocky mentioned, but certainly there are opportunities to go sight seeing on a bike. It is all about planning and knowing where you are and local customs, which is where it really helps to talk to the people and get a sense of what they do. I was lucky and went over there with someone from the area, but if that was not the case I would have done a lot of research.

4. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

I don't like using bicycles in countries with a hot climate. It is an activity that involves a lot of exercise and before you know it you would be perspiring a lot. It is better to walk that to cycle as it would be quite relaxing as well.

5. Arianne

Arianne Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will stick to taxis, drivers or walking. Walking in the larger, tourist cities is probably the best thing as the sites are usually within walking distance.