1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Food in your City

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Preet, May 22, 2015.

1. Preet

Preet New Member

I haven't visited a great number of cities in India, but have tried and tasted many different dishes from the places I have been and there is always a favorite and it can be more than one. I love rice so any dish which has rice in it is good for me and the particular dish which is my favourite is chicken biriyani. I am from Delhi and have tasted biryani in a lot of places, and the best till date is the one served in Dilli Haat. The dish is full of flavours and the chicken is very tender. I am yet to go the actual city where it has been named from, but I am pretty sure all the places there serve amazing biriyani.
    I am also a big fan of gol guppas and in Delhi the best I have had is from a rehri wala in Rajouri Garden, fresh water full of fresh mint....mind blowing!

What is the best food in your city?

DhongiBaba, Chahal and Dhruv like this.

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Not my city, but when on a visit to Dharamshala, I had the best ever momo's, although there is not much of a difference to how it is made it is the stuffing and the chutney which make the difference. You can not get the same type of momo's from else where.

Where do momo's originate from?

I am from Delhi as well and there is no speciality food here which represents Delhi, but the one thing which I like is kebabs from Kameem's in old Delhi.

Chahal likes this.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

i agree with dhruv delhi does not have any great speciality as compared to other states, but still it has alot to offer.. i have seen a restaurant named Kareem's at pusa road, karol bagh.. dunno if its same as the one at Jama masjid..

i prefer the dahi-bhalles/papdi from a road side 'redi' near PulBangash Metro station probably the best in delhi... some highly stuffed paraths from parathe Wali gali... Rolls from Wraps or shawrma's...

Chahal likes this.
  4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

If you want really good paranthas minus the oil then try one of the dhabas at Murthal. The paranthas you get at paranthae wali gali are drenched in oil but at Murthal you get tandoori paranthas and if you are a fresh white butter fan then that is "the" place for. Excellent paranthas and their dal is not to be missed either. I wont name a particular one as almost every dhaba is good enough. There is something about the place I would say.

BadBoy likes this.
  5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

i have heard alot about this place...w'll surely try out the parathas there if i get a chance to visit it....

6. Prits

Prits Member

I dont like the prantha's at Murthal I think only because they are tandoori pranthas, and the amount of butter they give you I think equals up to the ones served in prantha wali gali in Chandni Chowk. I haven't eaten the pranthas in Chandni Chowk as I don't go there much and when I do it is always end up eating things like gol guppa, tikki etc, then there is no room left for pranthas...;)

I wont call is speciality but I do love the food served at Haldiram's, be it the chole bature or the badam milk.

7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

For chole bhature there is no other better than Sita Ram at paharganj though the places is crowded but they surve delicious chole bhature try it out someday.
    even Om croner at karol bagh is good at cholle bhature

DhongiBaba likes this.
  8. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

That is exactly where I go for Cholae bhaturae. I go there atleast twice a month if not more as I live far away from there and getting there is a mission in itself but their cholae bhaturae are worth all the trouble I go through just to get there.

9. MrGirdar

MrGirdar New Member

Mumbai is not the city I live in but it has the best vada pav, I have tasted it from four different places and it tasted fabulous from all the places and if you asked me to rate the best I wouldn't be able to do that.

10. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

I have been eating Sita Ram's chole bhature since 2013 but neva went to their shop..for the 1st time I went their a week ago as most of the times my father used to get bhature from there.

I was shocked to see the way they serve.
    They make the bhaturas early in the morning and have a special kind of tava on which the keep getting the bhaturas hot I dint like this tradition cmon guy give us fresh bhaturas.. But still it tastes good dunno if this way is higenic or not..

There is a sardarji's Chole bhaturas shop in sadar bazar and I think they serve better Chole bhaturas and that too fresh... Directly from the hot kadai to our plate and the price is very reasonable around rs 35... If anyone visits sadar bazar do taste those Chole bhaturas.

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

DhongiBaba and Chahal like this.
  11. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

Food made early morning then served through out the day not a good idea especially in these hot summer days when food goes off very quickly. If something is put in the fridge (which I doubt) or is kept on the stove then it is ok.
    You are right BadBoy bhaturas should be made fresh, and a lot of places do make them fresh for customers.

12. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

I myself stopped going there after I realised that they don't serve freshly made bhaturas. I have tasted the sadar bazar ones and loved it but it is not very often that I get to go there so I just go to a local shop where I live and the guy makes excellent stuff and everything is fresh too.

Gori Bride and BadBoy like this.
  13. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Its only 5-10min walk from my home to sadar.. thats one of the best things i like about my locality..

DhongiBaba and Gori Bride like this.
  14. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

Don't eat too much of that stuff :). Too much oil.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

BadBoy likes this.
  15. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You have the same phone as me :) I just got this a few days ago.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

16. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

without oil no good food can be made, i only eat outof home once or twice a month afterall health is my top most priority.. a bit of workout everyday keeps me active...

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

17. Akshay

Akshay Member

Anyone heard of ram ladoos? They are delicious, something perfect to eat as a snack especially during the monsoon season.

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

18. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

I love Ram ladoos but they are only available at a select few places and it is impossible to find them outside Delhi. The only two places I have had them are Bangla Sahib gurdwara and Tilak nagar. They also sell those large mirch pakodas :) Love them.

BadBoy likes this.
  19. Anna

Anna New Member

Is there a place where I could taste all these things under one roof instead of having to go to different places?

20. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

The best food in my city is the momo's. They taste so good. They taste really good =D. If you ever have the chance to eat momo's, you should! You will not be disappointed in some delicious momo's! I live in Delhi and the momo's here taste super good!!!!

21. fatema

fatema New Member

Why people ask me that question I never know what to say. I can't have a favorite food, it's like you having to choose between all your shoes. If I have to have a favorite, it would be Popeyes. It's such an amazing restaurant! If you haven't tried it, you're so missing out! I suggest that you get their biscuits it's literally to die for! Their chicken is there specialty though. Always comes out so fresh!

22. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Well in my city, where I live currently there is a nice little restaurant and all the foods taste like my mother or grandmother made them at home. I think that in everyone's culture the most important tastes come from childhood.

23. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am from Niš in Serbia and we have a lot of specialities. Traditional and official city trademark food is Burek. Niš is the official town of burek. This is a pastry like food, a pie with filling. The original recipe goes with meat but now they make it with cheese, mushrooms...

burek - Google претрага

So, this is burek with cheese. The quarter you see in the picture is usual unit to order burek.

On the other hand we have more healthier food in kafana. Kafana is a traditional Serbian restaurant where you can buy these things to eat.

Pljeskavica ( burger)

Cevapi

Pečenje (roasted pork or any other meat)

Ražnjići

And many more traditional Serbian meals.

24. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

My favorite place to eat in my city is a Persian place downtown that serves the most incredible hummus, pita and mediterrenean coffee that I've had. I'm lucky enough to have them close to my house and the manager is a friend of mine so I get to see how they make it. I've been looking for some great Indian food as well but I have better luck at home when I try to make it myself.