1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap accommodation and food in Varanasi

Discussion in 'East India' started by Jude, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Jude

Jude New Member

My boyfriend and I are coming to Varanasi in June and need to find some cheap and affordable accommodation and food there. As we are on a low expense holiday our budget for the hotel is maximum Rs1000 per night, for food we need some suggestions for good and cheap food.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Somu

Somu New Member

When I last visited Varanasi I stayed at a place called Tiwari, it had very basic accommodation, but all well maintained, it is also close to the river.
    Regarding the food, Kerala Cafe is a very good place, and they serve south Indian food like dosa and idli. Another place which unfortunately I can not remember the name of serves some good thalis (a plate with vegetable, dal, rice and roti) it is past the cinema and post office on a corner.They way you can recognize it, is by the red tables they have.

3. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Kesar Guest House is also a good option and is only five minutes away from Assi Ghat.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  4. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

There are a lot of very good, very cheap hostels in Varanasi, but the two options Dhruv and Somu gave sound good. I've been a few times, and cheap food has never been a problem, either. Street food is great there, and filling. Try tomato chaat, which is delicious, and find a dhosa stand if you like South Indian food. Look for places that are busy, as it means that it'll be fresh, and stick to vegetarian options if you want to minimise your chance of getting sick. Also stay away from pani puri, which uses the local water, which will make you sick if you're not used to it. My favourite thing to do in Varanasi is just to get a thali - again, look for a lowkey but busy place. My favourites are ones which have open fronts, as usually this will indicate that the food will be cheap, and it was always delicious.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would shoot for a hostel. You can look this up online and have some very good options. It is a good idea to save money, too, since you will want to buy a lot of the local silks. Varanasi is a great center of silk production, and you can buy both finished textiles and bolts of fabric. You will enjoy the visit.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Jude!

You have many options for budget accommodations in Varanasi. Here they are:

Hotels Under Rs. 700
    • Vikrama Lodge. Their Double Room is at Rs. 653 per night. Room amenities include: a desk, a television and an attached bathroom. The hotel also offers laundry service by request. There's luggage facility and a travel counter as well. The address is: C32/3, Vidyapith Road, Varanasi, Varanasi, 221002.
    • Surya Residency Guest House. Their room rates start at Rs. 700 per night. The rooms are basic though they do provide free WiFi access. There's also a restaurant in the hotel vicinity. Transport pickup services are also offered for guests. The hotel is also just a few minutes away from the temple. Their address is: Beside H.P Petrol Pump, Girja Ghar Crossing, Varanasi 221001, India.
    • Hotel Shivganga. Their room rates start at Rs. 700 as well. Most of the rooms have AC. Free internet is also provided for. There's a restaurant as well. Laundry services, airport pickup or transfers and shuttle services can also be arranged for. Their address is: B3/155, Niranjani Akhara, Shivala Ghat, Nearby Chet Singh Ghat, Varanasi 221001.
    • Satyanarayana Lodge. Rooms here are very cheap starting at Rs. 438 per night. Rooms are very basic although they do have television. Room service can be arranged for by request. Their address is: S21/116 L, Parade Kothi , Varanasi , 221002.
    Hotels Under Rs. 1,000
    • Ali Baba Guest House. A great budget hotel with good rooms. Rates start at Rs. 800 per night. There's a gym and a restaurant in the hotel. Free internet is also available. Parking for guests are also available. Their address is: Bangali Tola, Munsi Ghat, Varanasi 221001, India.

• Gupta Inn. Rates here start at Rs. 800 per night as well. Rooms come with free internet and even a free breakfast. There's also a restaurant and transport services provided for. Their address is: S19/122 Varuna Bridge, P.W.D Road Behind U.P Motor Petrol Pump, Varanasi 221002.
    • Hotel Ajaya. Room rates here start at Rs. 800 for a Non-AC Room. They are very basic but very hygienic. Their address is: C26/10 C1,Near Indian Oil Petrol Station, Lahurabir, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001.
    All of these hotels offer room service for food and some of them have in-house restaurants. Otherwise, some affordable eateries around the area are:
    • Open Hand Shop and Cafe. They have Indian and European cuisines. They offer affordable meals but doesn't compromise on quality. It's a great place for some coffee and snacks.
    • Royal Family Restaurant. They have Indian, Chinese and Asian cuisines. Their meals are affordable but delicious. Try out their Chicken Curry.
    • Ganpati Restaurant. They have Indian and Chinese cuisines. Try out their Paneer and Aloo Curry.
    I hope this helps!