Beer in Varanasi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by OntarioMan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

I know Varanasi is a holy city for Hindus and I am visiting it in a week, but before I go there can somebody tell what it is like there.. I mean do I need to follow some rules and guidelines? Is smoking and alcohol consumption allowed there or not?
    I will be really thankful if someone can tell me main attractions and must do things in Varanasi.

Thanks in advance
    -O

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Varanasi is a holy city but do not mistake us for Taliban and the likes. Us Hindus are a very tolerant people and what you do inside your hotel room is nobody's business.

I wonder why you want to have beer there when the holiest of the holy drink the Bhaang thandai is there to give you a high :) Have as much as you want and no one is going to raise an eyebrow. It is legal there and socially acceptable too.

3. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

I totally agree and accept that India and Indians are not at all similar to the Taliban or Pakistan, I have spent a month in Pakistan too in collecting some photographs and to visit historical monuments. Most of the times I was not even allowed to enter Mosques and clicking pictures inside any mosque was a crime, which is not the case in India. I am sure Indian is far much more friendly and civilized.

OK, I have tried smoking bhang in Kullu so, I am excited to try it as a drink too. I wanted to know about alcohol consumption just to ensure that I am not hurting somebody's faith and not stepping on that very thin line.