1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer in Varanasi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by OntarioMan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

I know Varanasi is a holy city for Hindus and I am visiting it in a week, but before I go there can somebody tell what it is like there.. I mean do I need to follow some rules and guidelines? Is smoking and alcohol consumption allowed there or not?
    I will be really thankful if someone can tell me main attractions and must do things in Varanasi.

Thanks in advance
    -O

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Varanasi is a holy city but do not mistake us for Taliban and the likes. Us Hindus are a very tolerant people and what you do inside your hotel room is nobody's business.

I wonder why you want to have beer there when the holiest of the holy drink the Bhaang thandai is there to give you a high :) Have as much as you want and no one is going to raise an eyebrow. It is legal there and socially acceptable too.

3. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

I totally agree and accept that India and Indians are not at all similar to the Taliban or Pakistan, I have spent a month in Pakistan too in collecting some photographs and to visit historical monuments. Most of the times I was not even allowed to enter Mosques and clicking pictures inside any mosque was a crime, which is not the case in India. I am sure Indian is far much more friendly and civilized.

OK, I have tried smoking bhang in Kullu so, I am excited to try it as a drink too. I wanted to know about alcohol consumption just to ensure that I am not hurting somebody's faith and not stepping on that very thin line.