1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooking Classes?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by amelia88, Sep 3, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love taking cooking classes whenever I travel -- adding new recipes to my cooking repertoire is always fun, plus I just think it's a neat way of connecting more with a culture through food!

Has anyone done a cooking class when in India? I am a huge fan of Indian food, but I've never really tried cooking it myself - we just go to restaurants locally. I'd love to get some recommendations if you have any, of places that hold cooking classes!

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

i dont know about restaurants holding cooking classes, but their are a few YOUTUBE channles through which you can learn indian cooking

1)Nishamadhumika.com
    2) bhavna'sKitchen

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Update--

i forgot to mention, my frind's Granny runs cooking classes for tourists etc.. in Delhi (Rajender Nagar) named Veena Cooking Classes.. Do let me know if you visit delhi..

those 2 channles are worth watching..

amelia88 likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to check them out! I like learning how to cook different cuisines and I can't believe I'd never thought to look on YouTube before!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Youtube is full of Indian cooking channels and they teach you step by step... It would even save your money..

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I also had a quick look online this afternoon, there is a class in Delhi that looks good, it's just called Cooking in Delhi. You can do a 5 hour course or an 8 hour course but I couldn't find the cost on their website - and that's always something I have to consider. I'm definitely not on a luxury budget when I travel and I'm only relatively young so if I can save money I try to!

7. Selvie

Selvie New Member

This is actually a fantastic idea! What better way to really get into the culture of a people than to learn their cooking and food preferences. I also love eating all kinds of different foods. Each flavor unique to its people. Exciting and delicious.

I Googled cooking classes in India and a whole list came up. I cannot put links here, but you can find it when you do a search as well. Good luck and enjoy.

amelia88 likes this.
  8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yes, something about cooking is just a fun connection to a country for me! I love trying new dishes when I travel, to me it's just as important as visiting cultural or historical sites. I've added a lot of new dishes to my favorite things to cook as a result of my travels over the years, and I'm hoping that will be the case when I finally get to India too!

9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am passionate about cooking and i had been working in different kitchens but never made any Indian food professionally. It would be great to have some classes there because you tube as someone suggested is ok but nothing beats the live performance. If you didn't work in a big kitchen with some crazy chef you are missing a life experience you shouldn't. I have been working with a chef from Indian restaurant but he usually came to us to take the big hand blender machine. I know he was a great guy but he didn't get our jokes :). Anyway if by any chance i go to India i will check before i go, here, so i can organize myself. It would be amazing for me to learn some Indian tricks in kitchen.

10. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I have been to one cooking class before and it was not the best experience I've ever had that said I still encourage people to try new things especially in learning how to cook. I can't say I've been to an Indian cooking class as I also get my lessons and recipes on Youtube, sometimes on Munchies a sister channel by Vice. The internet is helpful when you don't have that much time or money and just need to know one thing quickly. For example I wanted to make Spanish Paella the other day and lo and behold-- the food channel's website has a recipe on file plus a video to match.