1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Beaches In India Have Lifeguards?

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Dina, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Dina

Dina New Member

I will be in India later this year and wished to visit some of the famous beaches there. I was wondering whether there are lifeguards on the beaches because many of my friends don't know how to swim. There was a recent piece of news in which a few people drowned in the sea in India.

2. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Yes, there are lifeguards in beaches of India.

3. JManara

JManara Member

There are lifeguards on the popular tourist beaches. If your friends do not know how to swim, they should take care near the water. If you are in the ocean the currents can be pretty strong, I've been knocked off my feet a few times and I can swim. Some of the drowning victims did not know how to swim.

4. LMackey

LMackey New Member

I heard about the drownings and it's really sad. I also heard some of them couldn't swim which makes me wonder why the school allowed them in the water?

5. xTinx

xTinx Member

It really depends on the beach. High-end beaches operated by big-time companies and frequented by famous or elite individuals will surely have lifeguards. You can't expect the same service for public beaches, though. Some of the beaches may provide life jackets for those who are not so good at swimming but it's not a guarantee that they have lifeguards standing by.

6. I have been to a few beaches in India and to be honest I have not seen any lifeguards. Many they are not easily visible like in foreign countries. I should assume the popular and high tourist density beaches like those in Goa will be having lifeguards.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, the most packed beaches and those serving larger hotels will likely have lifeguards. However, not all beaches will have this protection. So, if you intend an out of the way beach, chances are it will be without such services.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

India as been growing as a popular tourist destination for a few years now, and with that you'll get more or less the same security measures as you'll get back home, and that includes lifeguards on the popular tourist beaches.

If you go and find a secluded cove somewhere then you obviously won't, but that's the same in all countries throughout the world.

9. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Depends a lot on the beach, just like beaches in the US and other countries. Tourist beaches will definitely have them, but it's also a good idea to stay out of deeper water if your friends don't know how to swim. Ocean water is no joke.

10. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Lifeguards are not that common in India in my experience, but I avoid tourist beaches where they will most likely be. If your friends cannot swim, or if they cannot swim well, they should avoid taking any risks in the water. Even if there is a lifeguard present where you are, theres no guarantee that they will spot one individual person in trouble in the water, particularly on a crowded beach. Tides and waves can catch out the most experienced swimmers and no-one is 100% safe once they are waist high in water, so your friends should be sensible and responsible when they are near the sea.

11. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

i have been to some of the beaches and neva saw "LifeGuards"...If you are smart enough then you can be your own "LifeGuard"...