1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ted, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

Do you think electronics are cheaper in India than Europe or the US for example? I really want to buy a small laptop and I was thinking that I could get one while there.

2. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

It is a good idea but I get better discounts at Walmart with good sale offers and price cuts on the older models. I don't think laptops are cheaper because all the international sites have prices that work out to be the same.

3. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok New Member

I agree with @Polaroid The prices usually work out very similar. Duty free may give you a decent discount though? Also take into account fakes and possible issues with returns and warranty if you need to contact the store again. Often its easier and gives you peace of mind to purchase the item at home. Department store sales are probably your best bet.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

You will not find cheaper prices for electronics in India. If you do, which I doubt, the quality will be questionable, either poorly assembled or knockoff products. The US generally has the cheapest prices for current generation technology, and a surplus of older generation technology, with more in the secondhand market. In general, all the factories of the world are designed to produce for the US market first. Yes, it is possible to get night shift production in certain areas, but those are mostly from China, or other SEA nations. Even then, the saving are not incredible, since electronics are already a commodity close in price to the actual cost of manufacture. The only electronics that have a high markup are brands like Apple, but you only buy Apple from a legitimate source, so there is no discount to be had.