1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephant Danger

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jnorth88, Mar 23, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

So, I learned that close to the Nepal border, there are areas with dangerous elephants. Signs warn about driving in these areas, as they can attack car passing on the road, and even push trees down to stop traffic. Can anyone elaborate on this?

2. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I read an article online saying that over 2000 people have been killed by elephants in the last 3 years in various parts of India, especially those places which are heavily forested. Elephants can be really aggressive (the wild ones) so it's best to it's best to stay away from areas where elephant attacks are frequent.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I actually remember reading something about this myself, but it was a few years ago from memory. From what I recall there were people that were trampled...it sticks out in my memory because I always thought up to that point that elephants were quite calm animals, and I had never heard any warnings about them previously. It's rather frightening, especially considering the fact that they could quite easily tip a car or crush it I'm sure. I don't really know what more you could do for protection though than to be aware of your surroundings. It's a tough one!

4. Maja

Maja Member

Well, they are wild animals and they will probably attack anyone who they see as a threat or anyone who they think are barging on their territory. Anyway, I think the best way to be safe is to veer away from their path. Ask the locals or the authorities in the areas that you would be going on where it is safe to pass through.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Elephants are big. They sometimes trample those in their way. I don't think it's that rare, but they are also very docile creatures and would probably attack if you offend them or step into their territory. As long as you give them space in these open areas, I think you'll be fine. If they weren't raised to be friendly tourists, then you gotta keep your distance. Elephants are awesome, they are gentle giants and would treat you right if you give them their space and respect.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think one of the problems is that humans have a very hard time reading the emotional state of elephants. It is not clear to us if they are happy, or mad, feel threatened or safe. It is easy to do that with cats or dogs, but elephants do not have immediate tells. People can get too close to an angry elephant, and then they are in for trouble.