1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elephants

Discussion in 'Nepal' started by jnorth88, Mar 23, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I recently learned that elephants can pose a danger along certain stretches of road. Hikers are suggested to not walk in those areas, and it is recommended to pass through them as quickly as possible. Apparently, wild elephants cause many deaths. Can anyone elaborate on this? I am interested in the area, but not if there is danger.

2. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Which areas are you looking at? I went to Nepal for a while, which included going to Lumbini, Kathmandu, Pokhara, and a few other places, but I only saw or even heard of elephants being around in Chitwan National Park. Is this a new development? In Pokhara etc. there were lots of guides who would take you up into the mountains. In the hotel we stayed in, there were three or so just based there, which seemed like it was the usual case. I'm friends with a couple of them on facebook, and they are indeed always putting up photos of their latest hike, so even if I'd doubted their word, there's plenty of evidence that these guys are experts. I imagine that if you go into any area worth hiking, there'd be locals who could take you and make sure that you kept to the safest routes.

3. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

We have never had any issues with Elephants. It all started when Deforestation was started by Forest thieves. Animal Poaching has made these animals become more ferocious and they have found their way into civilian roads and Villages. But I was told that these majestic Animals never attack anyone unless they feel threatened. So one thing I would like to recommend is that don't try to get close them even if the locals suggest you that you would be safe. Wild Elephants are not good around Human Company. Good Luck. Safe journey.

4. Dilof

Dilof New Member

It's very sad what is happening to Elephants. Elephants never forget... once man has had an impact on their life they become very aggressive at the sight of more. There's been cases where an Elephant has been killed by a village and the family members of that elephant have wreaked havoc on the village itself. This is obviously a very sad state of affairs and shows the importance of keeping a barrier between human civilisation and points where elephants are most prevalent.