1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farmer's Market

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Joanne, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Do you happen to know if they hold weekly farmer's markets in India? I'd love to visit one and buy some fresh fruits during my stay in India. I find the farmer's markets have better fruits and vegetables to offer than the local stores.

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Every towns and cities in India have farmers' market. Some places have regular farmers' market which is open 7 days a week, where as some farmer's market are open on weekly basis.

3. MarilynB

MarilynB New Member

Have you been to the farmer's markets Vinaya? I love the fresh vegetables, fruits and home made goodies that they sell. I wonder if there is one in Goa? We would love to be able to go buy fresh food for lunch.

4. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

I've seen just how big those farmers' markets are in the USA - California, for example! Huge crates of certified organic apples lined up in long rows. How would India's farmers markets' compare?

How do the freshness, variety and quality of the fruit compare between the stores and the Farmers' Markets? Have tourists been known to bargain more successfully at Farmers Markets'? I'm not looking for cheaper prices, but would like to be able to negotiate for bulk quantities if I like what I see, or if I find certain fruits of a certain quality that I believe would be difficult to get elsewhere. I have also been known to pay more if I get on well with the seller or if they give better service.

Is tipping expected or encouraged at Farmers' Markets in India? Is the rule between 5% and 10%? I have to ask, as Aussies don't tip and all the other countries I've visited also don't expect tips.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had been reading up on this topic a while ago online, since tipping is such a big part of life here in the States.

The resource I had bookmarked said that for street food vendors, you could tip 1 or 2 rupees if anything - so I guess that could be applied to farmers market vendors. I was surprised because when I did the conversion it was next to nothing in US dollars...but I guess maybe it's not customary that much in India as it is here.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Goa has its own traditional markets, open everyday, where you can get all your needs. But Goa also has some unique markets that have made their name around the world:

1. Banastarim Bazaar. Banastarim is close to Ponda Taluka, it is a very small village. It is open every Friday and has tons of cheap goods.

2. Anjuna Market. Found near the Anjuna Beach, held every Wednesday. Mostly stalls sell handicrafts from different tribes.

3. Friday Mapusa Market. Found in northern Goa, it is said to be one of the busiest markets in Goa. You can find everything from fruits, vegetables and even utensils.

I hope this helps!

tri-n-b-helpful likes this.