1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Souvenirs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 15, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

In a thread I started about the best/most interesting souvenirs you've ever bought, @pwarbi mentioned food is a good souvenir to bring back for people - and I totally have to agree!

I'm wondering for those of you from India on the forum, are there any sort of fun packaged treats/snack foods that are quintessentially Indian that you would think would be fun or interesting to bring back to our countries for family and friends?

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

2. Karan

Karan Member

When my relatives from abroad come over they generally take back some Indian sweets. Sweets like gulab jamun, rasgolla are not a good idea to take as they are coated in sugary syrup, which may leak and ruin your luggage as well as the food item.

When you go to a sweet shop in India there is a variety of sweets to choose from, the most common ones are milk cake, white barfi, besan, kaju barfi and moti choor ladoo. It's a good idea to take a box of mixed sweets that way there is a variety of everything.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

I would recommend preparations by Haldiram. They have a full range of products. I would particularly recommend their soan papdi which is available in different textures - including chocolate. They also have dry snacks such as salted cashew nuts, and other typically Indian snacks Their products are gift packed as well.

haldiram.jpg

Image source: Wikimedia commons

4. Londoner

Londoner New Member

I'm in London, and we have almost all Indian food available here, specially Ealing Road near Wembley. Imported freshly made variety of home made pickles, Haldiram's packaged meals, papads packets and you name it, it's available, including Mangos in season.. but one thing I bring back from India is freshly made papads. These taste amazing compare to packet papads that are imported.