1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For how much and from where to buy light weight Jaipur quilt

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Daydream, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Daydream

Daydream New Member

Hi

I am in Jaipur and today I found this very light weight quilt (around 100 grams), I wanted to buy it but I think the shopkeeper was asking way too much for that little thing. Can somebody tell me from where to buy authentic items in Jaipur and for sure not on tourist price but on real price? Is there any govt. undertaking or govt. shop to buy authentic items in Jaipur?

I love the culture, heritage and values of India and really want to take home many items from here but these touts are irritating me every minute.

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Take Dhongi Baba's advise and do not buy from Jaipur. Order your Jaipuri quilt from Snapdeal and also compare on Amazon.in and Flipkart. All three are good online retailers and you can also avail cash on delivery or make a payment online but they will only deliver within India and delivery may take more then a couple of days depending on what option you choose. Both Amazon and Flipkart have a next day delivery option for a charge so that is an option if you aren't staying long enough at one place.

Whatever you do, do not buy anything from that handicraft place run by the former Queen or Jaipur. That place is a ripoff and every taxi driver will try to take you there for shopping and I suspect they get a fat commission from the money you spend there.

Admin likes this.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

If you want to buy Jaipuri quilt from Jaipur then do not pay anything more then Rs500 for single and Rs1500 for double. That is the upper limit. If you cannot find that price in Jaipur then get one from Snapdeal as they have them listed at the prices I have just mentioned.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

You said it all. I find the prices there to be more then double and even more then double for some of the things.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The only government owned store in Jaipur is called "Rajasthali." The exact address is: M.I.Road, Near Ajmeri gate, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302004, India. Beware as many stores are also named the same and they can fool you into thinking they're the same shop. The real Rajasthali store is just near the Ajmeri Gate and it's a bit smaller than any other stores.

You can look around and take note of the prices here. This way, you can have a basic idea of what the prices of certain items are. They don't have much variety in the original Rajasthali store but they do have authentic and affordable products. Prices here are fixed and bargaining isn't allowed but at least you're sure that they're real and priced accordingly.

All other stores are government approved. But this doesn't mean that they abide by the rules set by the government. That's why you'll find the prices in these other stores are double or even triple at times for some items. It's wise to visit the real Rajasthali store and from there, compare the prices from the other stores. Otherwise, you can get scammed for your purchases.

Otherwise, here are some other shops that I can recommend to you:
    • Anokhi. This store is famous for its textiles and clothes. Their address is at: Anokhi Farm, Todi Ramzanipura, Jagatpura, Jaipur 302017.
    • Mojari. They have handcrafted, authentic leather shoes and some women's handbags. Their address is at: D-67, Shiv Heera Path, Chomu House, C-Scheme, Jaipur - 302003.
    • Gem Palace. Now this one is a bit expensive but they do sell authentic gems which can be hard to come by at Jaipur. Their address is at: M. I. Road, Jaipur, 302001.
    I hope this helps!