1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Does It Cost To Buy And Maintain A Motorcycle In India

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Sar@, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sar@

Sar@ New Member

Hey all, so I've been thinking a lot about going to India and money is an issue for me and generally speaking, I'm a minimalist so I'd be happy to get a motorcycle and go around with it...

2. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Hi Sara! A motorcycle is a great way to get around, but have you thought about the dangers in addition to the costs? India is a very high traffic location if you are in the city and being struck will mean that you will have to seek medical attention. What kind of health insurance do you plan to have while in India? Will you be near a gas filling station and if not, how do you plan on filling your bike? I think it all depend on your location and how often you will be using it. Theft is a big issue as well!

3. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

I agree with sillyluy here, and I would also advice against going without a buffer money so that you are not totally stranded if your motorcycle breaks down. Really I would just advice going on foot, or with public transportation if you have no extra money that can insure that you are just not stranded in the middle of nowhere with no money for repair or another motorcycle. I guess, as an outsider I am much more prone to think about the risks, but I guess there is nothing stopping you. I really don't know where you would rent a motorcycle though, and would begin my investigation there and see how much it will cost you and how other people that have done the same thing have experienced it. It would also help if you know how to maintain a motorcycle.

4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think if you are not familiarize with driving culture of India it would be unsafe to travel in a motorcycle in India, especially for a foreigner. The traffic rules are not so strict here and you can see a lot of rule breakers in traffic. They drive just like rules are made to be broken and its a privilege to do this. But we cannot ignore the fact that there is visible improvement in whole traffic system in India nowadays. You need to be aware of the poor road conditions at certain remote places too. A local resident of that area may be well aware of these things.

Yes, I agree that this would be a nice unforgettable experience to have a trip in a motorcycle to have a closer look of India, but with extreme caution.

5. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

A used 100-150cc motor bike will cost between 15000 to 25000 Rs and would be in reasonably good condition. Maintaining a motor bike is very cheap in India as repair work does not cost a lot.

If you are looking to buy something like a Royal Enfield then it will cost a lot more. They come in 350cc and 500cc ranges and have different models.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I've got a motorcycle license myself and have been riding for nearly fifteen years but I have to admit, while a motorcycle will make life a lot easier getting around in India, you only have to look at the amount of traffic, especially in the major cities to see that while it might be easier, it's also going to be a lot more dangerous.

7. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

I wouldn't suggest you to buy a motorcycle in India, you are better off renting one if you do not plan to stay here a long time. Do note that motorcycle renting is not very common across India exceptions being Goa, Kerala, etc., You could probably rent one for as low as Rs200 per day. The traffic is horrible in major cities and highways and it'll take some time to get used to other Indian drivers who may or may not follow rules.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

8. Devendra patel

Devendra patel New Member

You can find 150cc motor bikes at the range of 40000Rs to 60000 RS in India with best millage.But if you want 200 or 250 cc motorbikes you have spent 100000RS or more.Maintaining of motorcycle is very cheap in India.You can find spare parts of your motorcycle in cheap price.But driving of motorcycle in India is unsafe for any foreigner.

Chahal likes this.
  9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Motor bike prices in India :

A new 100 to 250cc motor bike that runs on petrol would cost anything between Rs40000 to Rs80000. The ones that sell for Rs50000-55000 sell the most.

Used motor bike prices in India would obviously depend upon which make and model the motor bike is but generally speaking a fairly decent condition motor bike could be bought for half the price of a new one. Royal Enfield Bullets are an exception as their resale value is a lot more then you would expect. Some old ones like the 76-77 model would sell for a lot more then what a new one costs just to give you an idea.

Repairs and service of motor bikes in India :

This is one thing you would love about India as repairs and general service costs are very low. Spare parts are cheap and so is labor cost that a garage/service center would charge you. Fixing a puncture on a tubeless tire costs between Rs50 to Rs100 depending upon where you are in India and fixing a puncture on a tire with tube costs more or less the same again depending upon your location and time of the day/night.

Motor bike insurance costs in India :

Third party insurance costs peanuts and that is all you need legally speaking. A comprehensive insurance would also be pretty cheap.

To give you an idea, Brand new 2016 Royal Enfield Classic Bullet 350cc motor bike's insurance would cost less than Rs 2000 for a year. All other Indian motor bikes are cheaper then RE with a few exceptions so insurance would cost a lot less depending upon the make and model. Hope that gives you an idea of what to expect.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

You will really need to decide if you want a scooter for going around town, or something road worthy for touring the country. The big thing is you do not want to be underpowered, and at the same time, you need to be able to control the motorcycle. Additionally, if you have a real motorcycle, parts will be harder to acquire. If you can, take a few for your motorcycle. I would recommend looking up motorcycle communities in India. There are some specialized sites with loads of information and great rentals.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

My question on this topic would be how safe is to ride a bike in some big and urban cities? I have or even had a friend while working abroad. An Indian guy who worked in the same hotel as me but in the different restaurant. We met in the hotel gym every once and a while. last time I spoke with him he told me he will go back to India to visit his family for two weeks and then he will get back. Few days after he left another friend told me he was badly injured in a motorcycle accident and since he was from India too he also told me it was not an uncommon thing.