1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gifts From India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Imani, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Imani

Imani New Member

Need some help with purchasing gifts from India for friends back home. I am someone who is awful with gifts, and end up buying the worst of things, so I thought seeing that I have registered on the forum for some other India medical query I should ask my other queries here too.
    I am also going to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, but don't want to get the Taj Mahal monument from there as it's a sign of separation and not an ideal gift to give.
    Most of my time will be Delhi, so please give some suggestions of where I can get some gifts from. My budget would be around Rs500 - Rs1000 per gift and I would gifts for 5 males and 5 females who are aged between 30 - 38 years of age.

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I would concentrate on some of the great flea markets if I were you. Fabric or needle work would be lovely for the ladies. Try to find some of the beautiful scarves that India offers. The men will be harder and I would need some help here also.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I bought shawls and pashminas for all my female friends. I only had so much space, so they folded nicely. I had about twenty. They were well received, and you can spend as much or as little as you want. I also got some statues and paintings for family. We have a big collection of bronzes, so it was nice to add some things to the mix. But a lot has to do with personal tastes. Your friends might be happy with spices and tea leaves, or might want their own tandoori pot.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love the idea of buying my female family and friends shawls or pashminas. I'm always worried about my suitcase going over the weight limit imposed by airlines, so light weight souvenirs are ideal! I wonder if there's a good equivalent of a shawl or pashmina for a guy? Presents for male friends and family I so much harder for me to think of than it is for female friends and family!

5. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I had not thought about teas and spices jnorth88. That would be a good gift also and might even cover your male friends. Especially the spices. The scarves and shawls are a given for the ladies though.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

In the same fashion as pashminas and shawls, for men you can get very decorative handkerchiefs. A lot of people don't wear them in suits anymore, but I picked up a nice selection and they add a great deal of style and class when worn in the breast pocket. They are also really small, so you could pack a bunch. I saw ties, but I chose to buy a lot of ties when I hit Hong Kong, and do that whenever I am in the region. But ties are still an option. Something cool I saw at the time were records. They are probably pretty rare, now, and not everyone uses records, but they can be a very cool gift to music lovers or people who just want something cool. There were a lot of vintage records, both for US music and Indian music. I had a friend who is a big Jazz fan, and she loved the Indian jazz music I got her.

7. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are many places in Delhi to buy gifts from. I can recommend these places to you as they offer affordable souvenirs without compromising the quality of the items. Here they are:

• Dilli Haat. This is an open market which has items specifically made to be souvenirs. There is an entrance fee to enter the market but it's well worth it if you are looking for souvenirs that truly represent India. There are about 62 stalls inside the market. You would always find new stores because these stalls are rented for only 1 to 15 days. You can buy anything here, from purses, to shoes, to accessories, to handicrafts and many more.
    • Janpath Market. I think I have mentioned this market too many times already in other threads. There's lots of merchandise to be found here, ranging from clothes, to bags, to handicrafts and to accessories. Haggling is allowed here as well. You need to check out different stalls before deciding on buying that item though as you never know if it's offered at a lower price in the next stall.
    • Tibetan Market. If you love jewelries with delicate stones, then this is the place for you. Aside from that, you can find different handicrafts and trinkets in here as well.
    • Fabindia. It's probably the Indian version of Bed, Bath and Beyond. There's organic soaps, kitchenwares and other interesting items here. If you like gifting one-of-a-kind items, then this is perfect for you.
    And here are some items you can give as souvenirs:
    • Jewellery
    • Scarf
    • Ethnic accessories
    • Organic tea, soap and even spices
    • Textiles
    • Indian snacks
    • Silver tea set or jewellery
    I hope this helps!

9. TravellerPushkar

TravellerPushkar New Member

I'll suggest the following for the females:
    1. Saffron: I am assuming that you are allowed to carry foodstuff. Saffron is a spice that adds an incredible taste to food. Please make sure that you check the saffron for its quality as there is a chance of it being impure as well.
    2. Stoles/scarves: You may visit the local market and buy silk stoles and scarves. They'll be delighted with the Indian handicraft.
    3. Handbags: Jute handbags are a popularity among foreign travelers. They're handcrafted and carry designs that speak highly of Indian craftsmanship.
    4. Footwear: Leather made footwear are easily available. Please make sure that you know the exact size of the person for whom you're buying them.
    5. Lanterns: Wrought iron lanterns make for excellent gifts. They're available in different colours and make for excellent display items.

I'll suggest the following for the males:
    1. Sandalwood pens: These pens are made of sandalwood and give out a lovely fragrance. Please make sure that the pen works though.
    2. Ties: You may not get these in a flea market but I'm sure that a mall will house ties that feature Indian traditional designs (elephants, palaces, etc.). They come across as quite different than your usual ties.
    3. T-shirt: You may buy a nice t-shirt that features an Indian tiger or an elephant.
    4. A chessboard: Buy them a wooden chessboard that is quite handy to carry and looks attractive with its finishing. It's easily available too.
    5. A coffee mug: A coffee mug with an palace of an Indian design or a quote in Hindi will make for a memorable gift.

There you have it. 10 gift choices for 10 individuals. I hope that they fit your budget and requirement. Happy shopping!

10. Selena24

Selena24 New Member

Hi @Imani,

I have some suggestions for the ladies. Two gift categories you could consider are:

1) High-Quality Ayurvedic Products for skin care and herbal remedies. I think this is something most people would value greatly. Some commercial brands like Biotique, Himalaya, and Shahnaz herbal are readily available. Here is a list of Boutique stores in Delhi:

2) Jewelry: There are many beautiful designs available in Delhi. For bangles in particular, you can watch the following video to get an idea of the varieties available and the meanings of various bangle styles. With knowledge about the meanings, you have the opportunity to personalize your gifts.

* "Jewels by Preeti Mohan" is an artificial jewelry store in Delhi which you can check out. Here is a link to the Facebook page:
    Jewels by Preeti Mohan

11. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Buying a gift from India that's to be given to a non-Indian can be a bit frustrating at times. If you ask me, I would highly recommend something from any of the following - textiles, jewelry, and pashmina shawls. These are items that India is well-known for. These are also items that are practical because the receiver can actually use them. As a second choice, you can buy something from India's various arts and crafts.