1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gulmarg or Pahalgam Which Is Better?

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Talking Monkey, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

I have travelled a lot in North India but never got a chance to go to Gulmarg or Pahalgam so I am planning to go to one of these some time later this year.

I would like to know what are the major differences between Gulmarg and Pahalgam and is it advisable to go there in winters or summers and why.

I will be driving from Delhi to Gulmarg or Pahalgam so road condition from Delhi to Gulmarg and Delhi to Pahalgam is also a consideration and any information on that would be of great help.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I would personally prefer Gulmarg in summers for the flowers that are everywhere but Pahalgam is not that scenic in summers as compared to Gulmarg. Gulmarg, in my opinion is a lot better in winters too with their gondola rides and the Kong posh restaurant where gondola ride starts. Proximity to Srinagar also makes it a better choice.

You are going to drive all the way to Gulmarg from Delhi, why not go to Pahalgam and Sonmarg too on the same trip? So you can decide yourself and you won't have regrets later that you went all the way to Gulmarg but didn't see Sonmarg, in fact I would also suggest driving to Ladakh on the same trip if you haven't been already. Delhi to Gulmarg and Pahalgam is a long long drive and if you decided to go to Leh one day you will be doing the same thing once again so why not go the extra miles and go to Leh as well?

If you decide not to go to Leh Ladakh and only want one of the two then my suggestion would be Gulmarg.

Gulmarg, if you do go there wasn't always called Gulmarg, original name of Gulmarg was Gaurimarg and it was changed to Gulmarg by some Muslim ruler in 15th or 16th century AD. Gulmarg was also one of the towns that was captured by Pakistani militia after independence when the British left but was taken back by the 1st Sikh battalion of Indian Army in a fierce battle.

I am sure other members will provide their input about differences between Gulmarg and Pahalgam making it easier for you to decide which would be better for you.

Talking Monkey likes this.