1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gulmarg or Pahalgam or Sonmarg which is better?

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Sethi Anuj, May 28, 2016.

1. Sethi Anuj

Sethi Anuj New Member

I am heading towards the region of Jammu & Kashmir and finding it difficult to decide on the location to stay at. The famous and popular tourist places in Jammu & Kashmir are Gulmarg, Pahalgam, and Sonmarg, which I have only read about. To me, they all seem very similar, but I am sure there must be something different and unique about each destination. I have only read positive points about these places which make it even harder to decide which destination to choose.

What do you suggest?

How can I decide from Gulmarg or Pahalgam or Sonmarg which is better?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hmmm... This is a tough one actually. Let me highlight the best things about each place though. Let's start with Gulmarg:
    • Best visited after the harsh winter season of December.
    • You can try snow sports like skiing or outdoor sports like trekking.
    • Famed as the best ski destination in India.
    Then, on to Pahalgam:
    • Famous for its flora and fauna.
    • Best visited during the summer season to see the blooming of flowers.
    • Should not be visited during July as it can be very busy during that time, since it is located at the departure point of Amarnath Yatra.
    And lastly, Sonmarg:
    • Best visited after the winter season. But can also be visited during the summer season.
    • Lots of views of the mountains, the glaciers and streams.
    • Less crowded than the other two.
    Well, for me, I'd choose Sonmarg. It's a breath of fresh air, away from crowded tourist destinations. If you love just seeing beautiful sceneries and admiring nature, then this would be your best bet.

I hope this helps!