1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manali Or Gulmarg Which Is Better

Discussion in 'North India' started by Sonali Roy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

Me and my friend are planning a trip to Leh this summer and have an option to stay a couple of days at either Manali on our way to Leh or at Gulmarg on our way back as we would take the Leh-Srinagar highway on our return journey.

I would like your opinion about both Gulmarg and Manali and which out of the two is better. We are just two girls so if you could keep that in mind while suggesting it would be great.

2. Amit Sahi

Amit Sahi New Member

Manali is much safer place than Gulmarg, I voted Manali

3. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

Thanks for your reply Amit, could you please elaborate what is it about Gulmarg that makes it unsafe?

4. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

Amit is probably referring to the political situation we have in whole of Kashmir. Gulmarg is very safe in that respect, you will see the Army all over the place especially since the BJP government came into being. Go for it, it is a beautiful place and a good skeeing destination. Manali is excellent as well in its own way, you should stay a few days at each if you ask me. Manali does not get as much snow as Gulmarg does but Manali has its own charm which cannot be missed either. I would infact say you should also include Pahelgam and Sonmarg as well while you are on this trip after all you dont go such long distances every day, why not make the most of it.

5. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

He he he, your ID made me laugh. Thanks for the reply but we can only pick one as we would only have two spare days that we could use for either Manali or for Gulmarg and Pahelgam and Sonmarg are not an option either because we dont have that many days, I wish we did but we have to get back.

6. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

After spending so many days at Leh you will find Gulmarg a bit boring. If I was you I would stay at Manali. I read your other thread and noticed you two would be driving all the way from Kolkata so Manali would be a nice break in the journey before you start the climb. It would also give you a little bit of getting used to of heights although not much as Manali is not that higher up. I find Manali a great place to spend a few days.

Gulmarg is not really a good idea after Ladakh if you ask me. You would be better off driving straight back as Leh-Srinagar route is not as tiring as the Manali Leh highway.

7. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Hotels at Manali for similar quality accommodation are a lot cheaper as compared to Gulmarg and also taxi costs a lot less at Manali. They are both lovely places, Gulmarg is also a big skiing destination.

8. Ambika Jain

Ambika Jain New Member

I have been to both Gulmarg and Manali and also Pahalgam and Sonmarg but I personally find local people at Manali are a lot more friendly and respectful. Another good thing about Manali is that it is easier and quicker to get to if you do not live in Jammu and Kashmir.

9. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

The security situation in Kashmir makes Manali the obvious choice. I wont risk my life to get a ride in a gondola at Gulmarg, Manali also has excellent trout if you like fish.