1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better Nainital or Dehradun

Discussion in 'North India' started by Mrs Anand, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Mrs Anand

Mrs Anand New Member

Hello members,

I have been a visitor here for quite some time and today decided to register and ask a question as me and my family are due to go on a short holiday after a very long time and I would like it to be as good as possible with the limited time and resources we have at hand.

The two options we are looking at are Nainital and Dehradun but it has to be one or the other as we only have a weeks time and we do not want to spend too much time traveling. We have recently moved to Delhi so not familiar with hill stations around here as we originally come from the South. This will also be our first holiday here in North India so a pointer or two will be great help.

I am looking for main differences between Dehradun and Nainital and what to expect at each destination So please tell me which one is better for a family vacation out of Dehradun and Nainital.

Thanks
    Mrs Anand

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

When are you planning to go for this holiday?

3. Mrs Anand

Mrs Anand New Member

We are planning for last week or June.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Dehradun is a great place but it is not a hill station and during June-July temperature remains high. Nainital on the other hand is a lot high up and even in the afternoon weather remains pleasant with the exception of a few days when around 1PM you cannot go out in the sun and expect not to get any sweat.

Dehradun is great for a day or two but as it would be too hot for comfort I would advise going up to Mussoorie which is just an hour from there but if that is not an option you should definitely pick Nainital.

Nainital's main attraction is the lake there and the life around the lake. Nainital's weather remains good most part of the year. June end you will see some rain fall as well so it will be a good time to go there. Rains also make visibility better so you can see the mountain ranges from there very clearly.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's some of the differences between Nainital and Dehradun:

Nainital

• Area: 11.73 square kilometres
    • Climate: Summers are pleasant but winters can get extremely cold
    • Total Population: 38,559 (2011 census)
    • Located in Kumaun region of Uttarakhand
    • Well connected to other cities as well via road, air and rail
    • A hill station which is famous for its lakes
    • Famous for educational institutions especially its schools
    Dehradun
    • Area: 300 square kilometres
    • Climate: Hot during summer and extremely cold during winter
    • Total Population: 569,578 (2011 census)
    • Located in Garwhal region of Uttarakhand
    • Capital city of Uttarakhand
    • Has the main offices of the Uttarakhand
    • Well connected by road, rail and air
    • A valley known for its picturesque landscape and pleasant climate
    • Famous for its educational institutions both schools and colleges
    There you go, the main differences between Nainital and Dehradun. For the most part, Dehradun is known as a valley and Nainital as a hill station, that's their major distinction between each other. Nainital is definitely smaller and its economy relies mostly on its tourism industry. Whereas, Dehradun is bigger and is the capital of Uttarakhand so major businesses can be found here, it doesn't rely solely on its tourism for its economy.

It depends upon you which one you prefer. If you like lakes and picnics, then go for Nainital. If you like temples, buildings and valleys, then go for Dehradun. Both has their own charm and allure so it's a must to visit either of them.

Here's what you can visit in both places:

Nainital:

• Himalaya Darshan
    • Land's End
    • Naini Peak
    • Nainital Lake
    • Tiffin Top
    Dehradun:
    • Robber's Cave
    • Tapkeshwar Temple
    • Sahasradhara
    • Rajaji National Park