1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honeymoon in Coorg

Discussion in 'West India' started by KirtiF, Jul 29, 2015.

1. KirtiF

KirtiF New Member

I am a new member on the forum and have joined to get some advise. I am getting married in December and my fiance and myself are planning a trip to Coorg in January. I have a few questions about the trip and would appreciate it if they would be answered.
    Thanks in advance.

- Is Coorg a good honeymoon destination?

- What would the weather be like in the month of January?

- Please recommend a good budget hotel.

- What is the minimum duration you suggest for the stay>

2. Deven

Deven Member

Yes, Coorg is a good honeymoon destination and many couples visit the place.

The Coorg weather in January is quite pleasant, temperatures reach around 27c.

For a budget accommodation, I would recommend KSTDC Maurya Valley View.

I would say that the minimum stay should be 4 days.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Please define what is "budget" for you. Every one has a different criteria.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Coorg is also known as Kodagu. It is a hilly district in the state of Karnataka. It highest peak is at 1,750 metres and the lowest peak is at 900 metres. Tourism-wise, it is one of the most popular hill station destinations in the country. Because of its pleasant climate all-year round, it's a favourite attraction among tourists. It is also known as the Scotland of India because of its picturesque mountain views resembling that of the said country.

Coorg is definitely a good honeymoon destination, as evidenced by the numerous newlyweds who have chosen this destination for their honeymoons. I can give you several reasons though why it's a good honeymoon destination:
    • The wonderful views from the hill station, which has mesmerised not only the locals but also the British who have made Coorg their summer retreat. For the adventurous couples, trekking the peaks of the hill station can be a fun activity and would surely bring you closer together.
    • The mesmerising waterfalls of Coorg are sure to blow you away. They're best visited after the monsoon season when they're in their full glory.
    • Touring the coffee plantations will ignite your senses and what is more better than a fresh cup of coffee, right?
    • There are lots of temples, historical structures and wildlife to see here.
    • Numerous resorts offering some retreat from the city life can help you relax here. Some are in the city, others are in the outskirts of the city. Many of them offer honeymoon packages for couples as well.
    So there, I hope I have encouraged you to try Coorg as your honeymoon destination. Make sure you book in advance though as it's one of the most popular destinations especially around winter and summer.

During the month of January, the weather in Coorg is quite cold and pleasant. January is part of the winter season, which is from November to February. Temperatures range between 8°C to 10°C during this month. It's best to bring your woolen clothes and winter apparels as the nights can get especially chilly. But if you're from a region with the same temperature, then you can probably withstand the cold.

Here are some budget hotels in Coorg:
    • Hotel Green Haven - This hotel is located in the heart of the city. You can easily access major tourist attractions from here. Room rates start at Rs. 1,500 per night. Rooms come with attached bathroom, television, bedside table, lamp and a king-sized bed. Hotel amenities include a restaurant and even a business centre. Their address is: Kohinoor Road, Kodagu District, Madikeri, Coorg, Karnataka, 571201.
    • Vedanta Wake Up - The Madikeri Fort and Raja's Seat are just about 5 minutes away from the hotel. Their Non AC Deluxe Room is at Rs. 1,439 per night. If you choose to go in the winter, you won't need air-conditioning anyway. Room has cable television, hot/cold running water in the bathroom and even internet. Their address is: 42/3 Race Course Road, Madikeri, Karnataka 571201.
    • Mountain View Home Stay - The best feature of this home stay is the mountain views right from your own room. Rates here start at Rs. 850 per night. They're very basic rooms but very clean and well-maintained. Their address is: Mangalore Road, Thalathmane Post, Madikeri, Karnataka 571201.
    • Hotel Caveri - This hotel is within the city but away from the noises of it. It's also nearby the bus station. Their Standard Non AC Room is at Rs. 1,300 per night. Rooms have attached bathroom with 24 hours of hot/cold shower. Rooms also have television and telephone. The hotel also has a multi-cuisine restaurant. You can also request for Ayurvedic treatments. Their address is: School Road, Near Private Bus Stand, Coorg, Madikeri 571201.
    • Hotel Coorg Mandarin - This hotel is just nearby the bus station. Their Mini-Deluxe Room with Balcony is at Rs. 1,600 per night. It has television, WiFi and bathroom with 24 hours of hot/cold running water. Their address is: Sangeetha Arcade, Opposite KSRTC Depot, Mysore - Madikeri Road, Madikeri, Karnataka 571201.

I'd recommend at least three days to fully explore Coorg and its attractions. You can even lengthen your stay up to a week since it's your honeymoon after all.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your honeymoon!

Chahal likes this.